cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 won't print in black only

mspcock
Apprentice

How can I get my MX922 to use only the black cartridges to print in black and white?  

I have seen the replies from Canon that do not address the issue; even to the point of suggesting an override by pressing the red Stop button.  I figured out that it meant to use the Stop button on the printer itself; hold for 5-7 seconds, then press OK to get the override to work.  

Since Canon said the override method may damage my printer over time, can I just replace the cyan, yellow, and magenta color cartridges with the same size black cartridges? 

I don't understand why color cartridges are used when I specify printing in black and white only, not grayscale. 

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If you select the "Plain Paper" option, you should be able to print. 

But if you have empty inks, this might cause a printing issue.  You cannot insert black cartridges in place of color.  If you need high volume B&W printing, choosing a non color model might be a better option.   

Why are color cartridges used for printing black?  

The answer.

White is the absence of color

Black is the presence of all colors.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rvgammill
Contributor

That response is bogus. Macs can print from either Black Ink tank alone or together.

Announcements