cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 scanner not working

dfdunbar
Apprentice

I have a MX922 printer connected through wireless to a MacBook Pro Sierra 10.2.1.  The printer prints fine, so the wireless does work.  However I receive a prompt

"Scanner reported an error. 

Cannot communicate with scanner for these reasons:

- Scanner is turned off.

- (If using Wired LAN connection) It is disconnected from Wired LAN.

- (If using wireless LAN connection) Signal strength is poor due to obstructions.

- Network connection is prohibited by security software.

- Different scanner on the network is selected."

None of these conditions apply, but rebooting the printer and computer does not resolve the problem.  This may be the first scan I've attempted since upgrading the OS, however.

-- Dan

14 REPLIES 14

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi dfdunbar,

Reinstalling the PIXMA MX922 should resolve this issue.  Please follow these instructions to uninstall, download and reinstall the drivers (if you are unable to complete a step, that is OK, continue with the rest of the steps):

1. Open the hard drive (Macintosh HD).

2. Open the 'Library' folder.

3. Open the 'Printers' folder.

4. Open the 'Canon' folder.

5. Send the 'BJ Printer' folder to the trash.

6. Return to the 'Library' folder.

7. Open the 'Receipts' folder.

8. Locate any items related to your printer and send them to the trash.  However, leave the 'Canon Printer Drivers.pkg' file in the folder.

9. Return to the 'Library' folder.

10. Open 'Image Capture'.

11. Open the 'Twain Data Sources' folder.

12. Send any Canon files related to your printer to the trash.

13. Empty the trash.

14. Restart your computer.

Please follow these steps to download the necessary files to begin installation:

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://usa.canon.com/support

2.  Type PIXMA MX922 in the "Enter a Model" box and click GO.

3.  Under Drivers, please click on the Select button next to the MX920 series CUPS Printer Driver.

4.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

5.  Click the Download button.

6.  If a file download box appears, click Save.

7.  Once the download is complete, click on the Select button next to the MX920 series Scanner Driver.

8.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

9.  Click the Download button.

10.  If a file download box appears, click Save.

11.  Once the download is complete, click on the 'Software' link.

12.  Please click on the Select button next to the Canon IJ Network Tool.

13.  If you agree, please place a checkmark next to "I have read and agree to the terms of the Disclaimer and wish to continue with the download".

14.  Click the Download button.

15.  If a file download box appears, click Save.

16.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

To install the unit for use over your network wirelessly, please follow these steps:

1.  Press the <Menu> button on your PIXMA MX922.

2.  Select Setup and press the <OK> button.

3.  Select Device settings and press <OK>.

4.  Select LAN settings and press <OK>.

5.  Select Wireless LAN setup and press <OK>.

6.  Select Other setup and press <OK>.

7.  Select Advanced setup and press <OK>.

8.  Follow the on screen prompts to complete the setup.

9.  Double click [mcpd-mac-mx920-16_10_0_0-ea21_3.dmg] to install the CUPS printer driver.

10.  Double click [msd_-mac-mx920-19_1_0a-ea11.dmg] to install the scanner driver.

11.  Double click [mnt_-mac-4_7_0-ea21_3.dmg].  Files will extract, follow the prompts to complete installation.

12.  Restart the computer.

If you are experiencing difficulties, you may view the installation process by following this link:

http://downloads.canon.com/html/wireless/modules/14slw-ww/14slw-ww-0010-000/14slw-ww-0010-000.html

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

I am also not able to scan using the PIXMA MX 920. The message displays the same as the previous gentleman's message, "Cannot communicate with the scanner for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off. -USB cable is disconnected.  Please check and try again. Scanner driver will be closed."

Do I need to connect the scanner to my computer via USB? My printer is connected to my printer via WiFi. I have successfully printed a test document using WiFi.  

On my printer device I hit the scaner button and I can select to "Forward scanned data to a PC." That is what I wish to do. As I push OK to select this option the next menu option says, "Local (USB)". I can then click OK and the menu says, "PC Local (USB), Doc.type < auto scan.  I am unable to manipulate the settings to enable my computer to scan.  When I click any of the buttons in the Canon IJ Scan Utility, such as Auto, Photo, Document, Custom, Stitch, ScanGear" the system responds with the above message, annot communicate with the scanner for these reasons: -Scanner is turned off. -USB cable is disconnected.  Please check and try again. Scanner driver will be closed." 

Do I need to attach the scanner to my computer via USB in order to scan? What additional information can you provide me?  Thank you,

Paul

I have the same problem with my MX920 (all-in-one) scanner, but I'm using Windows 10, wireless.  Has been working for years, then suddenly my computer can't see the scanner anymore, after scanner worked earlier the same day (yesterday).  Rebooting computer, printer/scanner and network modem didn't fix it.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall the printer/scanner?  Please advise ASAP.

Thanks!

Hello GlenF,

Before uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and software, please check the printer's communication with the network. This can be done by printing out the printer's network configuration page. Click HERE for information on that. Once the network configuration page is printed note the following information:

SSID: (Ensure your computer is on the same listed network)

Signal Strength: (For scanning it is preferred that the signal strength is above 80%)

IPv4 IP Address: (A valid IP Address starts with either 192, 172, or 10)

Type the IPv4 IP Address into the address bar of a web browser (do not type it into the search bar). This should bring up the printer's web page. Close the page and attempt to scan. If you continue to have issues scanning, open the Windows program Paint and attempt to scan through it. With successful scanning through Paint, temporarily disable your computer's security or anti-virus program and perform a test scan again using the IJ Scan Utility Program. If you are able to successful scan through paint and continue to have issues with the Scanner software there are two options. 

1. Try reinstalling the MX920 series MP Driver with the computers security or anti-virus software temporarily disabled. Click HERE to access the MX920 series MP Driver, or

2. You may want to get in contact with your security or anti-virus software provider and have an exception of ports put on the ports that allow the printer, scanner, and computer to communicate. Click HERE for more information on the Exception of Ports. 

In the event that it does not, the printer and computer are not on the same network.

"Type the IPv4 IP Address into the address bar of a web browser (do not type it into the search bar). This should bring up the printer's web page. Close the page and attempt to scan."

This worked! Thanks!

Hello,

I'm having a similar issue as GlenF, my MX920 gets used daily for everyting but faxing and normally scans directly to my laptop. Yesterday it showed my laptop's name but when I tried scanning, it asked me to select PC; once I scrolled to the PC screen, the only choice is 'Local [USB]'. I've tried restarting, verified driver is current, signal strength is ~88%, and wireless printing is fine. Every time I repeat search it comes back with the same 'Local [USB]' only, my laptop name seems to have vanished...

Don't realize how attached you get to little features until they stop working, huh?! Thanks in advance!

Eric

PorscheService@yahoo.com

I don'tt know if I saw it in this thread but in my case, where printing worked fine but scanner stopped offering anyting but 'Local (USB)' for PC choices to forward to, the fix was to initiate a scan from the PC. In my case, Surface Pro tablet on Windows 10, I used Paint 3D to open a new scan, which worked. Now my tablet is back on the PC list, scanning back to normal.

Thank you Forum, best of luck to fellow sufferers! 

I'm having the same problem as the others in this thread. 

I have a different Canon device, the Pixma 4210 Multifunction Printer on Windows 10 

It is set up on a wireless network and the network is working and all functions of the printer including network scanning were working up until today.

I could print and scan over the network.  I can connect over the network with the remote user interface which shows my signal strength at 73% and Link Quality at 84%.  So clearly the printer's wireless is set up correctly and working just fine.  

I can still print over the network but  the scanner is stuck in USB Local Mode. 

I can however scan using Paint (Windows 10) to scan over the network.  Unlike the poster above this did not fix my problem and the Canon Software can't find the Scanner. 

Is my only solution to uninstall the software and then reinstall? 

Thanks

So my problem was fixed.  It was caused by my anti-virus. I use Webroot and they aknowledged that all of their clients with Canon printers suddenly had problems when an update to the software was issued.  So in my case and all others who owned a canon printer, they rolled back the update and that fixed the problem.  

Announcements