cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Prints not printing middle of text lines

Kat37
Contributor

My MX922 was printing just fine a couple of days ago. I printed a document in Word and it printed ok, two or three hours later I printed another document and it appears every fifth line prints with some or all of the text not completely printing. Sometimes it's the whole line, mostly a portion of the line. In the affected lines generally the middle or bottom of the text is blank so I have the top half of the line or the top and bottom of the line but no middle. I ran a nozzle check and the pattern was perfect. I did a print head alignment and then printed one of the documents that I had printed before. The blank parts remained. Interestingly they are identical in both copies. If I print a different document the affected lines or located in a different area. I printed a page from Adobe Acrobat and it also printed with some of the lines partially missing but not nearly as many as the Word documents.On successive pages in the Word document the affected lines are in different areas and randomly spaced. Interestingly the affected areas are identical on all subsequent pages of the document. The same is true for the pdf file page I printed. I printed a page from Xcell that had text on it. It printed just fine. I printed a txt document from a text editor and it printed fine.I printed a Word document that I printed before this problem and the new print is just fine. I printed page from two other Word documents that I printed before the problem occurred and they printed with streaks on the new print. I'm baffled, the problem seems to be with Word and pdf documents, but not all of the documents have problems. I printed two of the documents I have problems with on my Epson printer and they print fine. So we have my MX922 not playing well with Word and Acrobat but no other document types. I printed two documents on another printer with no problems so it isn't the documents. I ran a nozzle check which was perfect. I ran a print head alignment and the problem persistes. Maybe someone can explain this, or more importantly have a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well this seems to be the case of the squeeky noise in your car that refuses to squeek when you take it to the mechanic. I was very busy with an important work project at the time so I just switched to my Epson printer to finish it. Didn't have time to play around with the MX922 at that time. In cleaning up, I tossed everything I didn't need into the recycle bin - the nozzle check, the alignment print and the pages with the lines. So I just printed out a number of Word documents from the project and none of them have the problem now. First time I have used the printer since posting and it seems the printer self corrected some time since I posted this and now. Doesn't really matter what happened to cause t he problem and what happened to correct the problem. The problem is no longer there.

Thanks for the response. If it happens again I will save the prints, but I don't think it will as it was such a bizzare problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Kat37
Contributor

After posting I went and did some things I could not while online. I turned the printer off and unplugged it for 30 seconds. Plugged it back in and turned it on. No change in the problem. I shut down my computer and did a cold reboot. I printed the document with no change in the problem. I did a roller cleaning and a base plate cleaning. No change. That's all I can think to do. Hope someone has better ideas.

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Take a picture/scan of the latest nozzle check print and one of your document prints.  Include the images in a response to this thread so that we can try to assist you further.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Well this seems to be the case of the squeeky noise in your car that refuses to squeek when you take it to the mechanic. I was very busy with an important work project at the time so I just switched to my Epson printer to finish it. Didn't have time to play around with the MX922 at that time. In cleaning up, I tossed everything I didn't need into the recycle bin - the nozzle check, the alignment print and the pages with the lines. So I just printed out a number of Word documents from the project and none of them have the problem now. First time I have used the printer since posting and it seems the printer self corrected some time since I posted this and now. Doesn't really matter what happened to cause t he problem and what happened to correct the problem. The problem is no longer there.

Thanks for the response. If it happens again I will save the prints, but I don't think it will as it was such a bizzare problem.

AMEmanuelli
Apprentice

Need help please. I can only print duplex documents. So, what I do when I can is create a second page so that the printing will go to duplex. 

If I have a web-based doc that is only one page I'm out of luck. One-sided docs print with lots of white areas in the black text. 

The print nozzle check is beautiful.

I installed a new print head. The previous print head wouldn't print cyan at all despite lots of cleaning, removing head and cleaning and wasted a lot of ink before I chose to simply buy a new head.

Please share troubleshooting ideas. I can't seem to start a service request because there are no service locations in my area. And when I call Canon Support, my account isn't recognized. That's why I'm reaching out here. Thanks in advance.

Hi AMEmanuelli,

Based on the description of the issue, it would appear that the encoder/timing strip would need cleaning. To clean the encoder/timing strip, please follow the steps outlined in the following Knowledgebase Article available from our web site:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART142447

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

When printing documents using simplex (one-sided) , I am missing black text lines, but when switching to duplex I have no issues. A couple of days ago, I changed the ADF duplex scan to duplex and 2-sided copies and copied several two sided documents. I changed the ADF duplex scan back to Simplex and 1-sided copies. Do I need to reset the printer back to the defaults?

Canon MX922 prints in duplex (double sided) fine. When printing simplex (single sheet or single sided), prints blank pages or partial prints (difficult to describe almost faded or selectively printing specific document elements). Work around has been to print duplex (double sided), and then scan single side with printer set to duplex printing. Issue is common to printing from Mac or Windows machines. MX922 did not have this problem previously. MX922 has been reset, latest firmware, print cartridges pulled, aligned, test prints, and power plug pulled. Encoder/timing strip looks spotless. No error codes.

What is causing the printer to not print properly in simplex, but print properly in duplex?

Announcements