cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX920 series won't update

stinkfoot
Apprentice

I'm having an issue getting an update for my printer which is otherwise working fine.

I'm running Windows7 and an optional update for my printer repeatedly appears on Windows Update:

Canon - Printers - Canon MX920 series FAX 14.2 MB

When I attempt to update this I get the message that the update was successful but when I search for more updates it repeatedly reappears.  Also, the process does not reflect the time needed for my computer to download and install a 14+ MB file so, despite the happy "The updates were successfully installed" message I get after 14.2 MB was magically added in the blink of an eye, something is missing and in typical Windows fashion I get zero real help as tjheir "help" and "information" are completely lacking in any specificity and are clearly designed to "busy" a user while assuring nothing getsd accomplished.

A little useful advice might help- do antivirus or firewall applications interfere with this or is this a one of a kind issue that I'm experiencing and I'm on my own?

Thank you for any and all replies.

7 REPLIES 7

merrymary247
Rising Star
Do you have any instances of the printer/fax with ".ws" listed after the name installed in the Devices & Printers?

No I do not see anything like that. I also installed the same software on my laptop (Windows 8.1) so that it could use the printer and the same issue with an update that will not actually update. Both update procedures "successfully" install the update but it reappears with the next search for updates... and neither "update" takes the time one might expect for a file of that size.

Thanks for your reply.

Hello.

To ensure that the unit has been set up properly, try downloading the MP Drivers from our website instead.  Visit the following link to download the drivers.

MX920 series Drivers & Software

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

btc909
Apprentice

Control Panel

Administrative Tools

Printer Management

Right click on "Canon MX920 series Printer FAX" and select Delete

Check for Windows Updates again WITH "Recommended Updates" turned on and you won't see the Canon FAX update again.

I have been having the same problem for my MX922 printer. It has installed "successfully" 5 times, but keeps showing up as an optional update. The advice to go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and Printer Management. . . is no good. There is no such thing in my Win 7 Administrative Tools.  I have checked "recommended" updates, but have not rebooted. Will try that and report back what (if anything) that does.

Did a reboot. Did not solve the problem; still get fax driver update listed as an optional update. So I solved the problem by hiding the update.

Well, hiding the update didn't work. I hid it the last time it showed up (as an "optional" update), but despite that, today it showed up again. I have unchecked "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" to see if that stops them. 

Announcements