cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG7520 will not stay on

Englishguy24601
Apprentice

My cannon MG7520 printer will turn on and start to go through its normal routine, but then unexpectedly turns off. The power cord has been checked, unplugged and replugged. Same result. Looking for other solutions if there are any.    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

94 REPLIES 94

d3lray
Apprentice

kvm
Apprentice

My friend had this exact same problem. It is entirely Canon's problem. They recently pushed a software update that basically turns the printer off when it connects to the internet. To fix it you'll need to block it from connecting to the internet and then it should be fine. Most routers have this kind of functionality build in via some sort of parental controls. You'll want to block WAN (internet) access, but not LAN (intranet) access, so you can still print while on your home network. It's the issue of planned obsolescence, since Canon wants you to buy a new printer and (probably) more expensive ink.

KathleenG
Contributor

The workaround is (others suggested and worked for me)

turn off your home wifi/internet

your printer should turn on

Go to setup

turn off LAN

turn your home internet and wifi back on

you’ll have to hook your printer up to your computer to print

SamanthaW

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

Same issue.  Why hasn't Canon been on the ball with this?  Please offer a straightforward solution for non-techies, please -- under deadline to print and scan documents for work.  Bummer.

this worked for me. Easy to do. Good luck 

SOLUTION: After a 1:57 hold time with Canon customer service.... I have the solution! (and that was 2 hours, not 2 minutes) If this is happening to you it is very easily fixed. [Removed per forum guidelines]  Although I wish I could sell it to make up for my 2 + hours of time.  Here is what you need to do to fix it:

Completely unplug your router and then turn on your printer (it won't stay on if your router is because of a linking problem with the router, that we are going to fix.)  So this is the step-by-step for the MG6620 and probably those models with similar menus, but whatever model you have just try to get to your DNS Server Setup. That is where the setting is that needs manually changed. So for the MG6620:

On the menu swipe to Setup, then find Web Service Setup then DNS Server Setup. Select Manual.  Press each set of numbers and change them all to 000 except the last set. That needs to be 001. So your DNS will look like this: 000.000.000.001  Click OK, then click No.

That's it. You should be good to print.

You are welcome!  Too bad someone at Canon doesn't just post this somewhere. Would've save a lot of people a lot of headaches, I'm sure. 

The problem has been solved. Canon just posted a new firmware update for Windows and MacOS users. It can be found at the link below. You need a USB cable. Plus internet has to be down when installing the driver. Took me about 10 min in total. Works like a charm.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/product-advisories/detail/service%20notice... 

Just wondering if you have printed out your LAN details after the firmware update:

setup/device settings/LAN settings/Confirm LAN settings/Print LAN details

I’m curious to see if the primary server setting remained the same as your default gateway IP or if they switched it to a local IP address like 0.0.0.1 as mentioned by another user.

if so, I’m not going to bother with the update because my printer has been working fine for the last 3 days. I don’t care about cloud printing.

Clear directions would be helpful if you cannot connect with the USB cable. I have a laptop and mobile devices only and no way to connect. I read the directions about needing to connect using an access point mode but it would be helpful if this would be explained further. Thank you.

Announcements