cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG6120 - cannot scan error "Cannot communicate with scanner"

afberman
Apprentice

Hi, I have a Mac Book Pro with OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite).  I have the MG6120 Canon printer.  Ever since I updated to Yosemite, I am no longer able to scan using the MP Navigator EX software.  I get the following error message:

"Cannot communicate with scanner.

Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.

Check status.

Scanner driver will be closed.

2.1.0"

The only way I can scan is by using the touchpad on the printer and saving the scan to a thumb drive.

I went to the support page and downloaded the latest drivers, but it hasn't made a difference.  Do I need to delete the printer and re-add it again? 

Will greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks very much,

Alice Berman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If the printer is being used via USB, check to make sure that the printer is connected directly to your computer.  Avoid using any USB hubs or extension devices for the connection.

If the printer is being used wirelessly, please perform the following to register your scanner to work wirelessly on the Mac:

1. Click the 'Canon IJ Scan Utility' icon on the top of your screen and choose 'Open Settings'. (Located near the clock, looks like an open scanner with an arrow below it.) For newer operating systems, the program may be located in the Canon Utilities listing in Applications.

2. In the next screen, make sure that the network version of the printer is selected rather than 'Do not use'. The network version will have a long set of numbers next to it.

3. Click 'Scan-From-Operation-Panel-Settings'.

4. A new window should appear, make sure that the printer is checked and click OK.

5. Click OK to exit the utility.

Once this is complete, perform the following:

1. Open the Application folder.

2. Open Canon Utilities.

3. Open the MP Navigator.

4. Once open, click the 'Settings/Preferences' button at the bottom.

5. In the 'Product Name' dropdown menu, select the Network Scanner.

6. Click OK at the bottom.

Once complete, attempt to scan from the MP Navigator.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If the printer is being used via USB, check to make sure that the printer is connected directly to your computer.  Avoid using any USB hubs or extension devices for the connection.

If the printer is being used wirelessly, please perform the following to register your scanner to work wirelessly on the Mac:

1. Click the 'Canon IJ Scan Utility' icon on the top of your screen and choose 'Open Settings'. (Located near the clock, looks like an open scanner with an arrow below it.) For newer operating systems, the program may be located in the Canon Utilities listing in Applications.

2. In the next screen, make sure that the network version of the printer is selected rather than 'Do not use'. The network version will have a long set of numbers next to it.

3. Click 'Scan-From-Operation-Panel-Settings'.

4. A new window should appear, make sure that the printer is checked and click OK.

5. Click OK to exit the utility.

Once this is complete, perform the following:

1. Open the Application folder.

2. Open Canon Utilities.

3. Open the MP Navigator.

4. Once open, click the 'Settings/Preferences' button at the bottom.

5. In the 'Product Name' dropdown menu, select the Network Scanner.

6. Click OK at the bottom.

Once complete, attempt to scan from the MP Navigator.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

THANK YOU very much Michael.  

I have been searching for 4 hours today trying to find the solution to my issue and your steps finally fixed it for me.  

In hopes to help others find this article when searching this issue on the web, I want to list the specifics of my setup and error.

I am using MacBook Pro OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 with Canon MX870 and was able to print wirelessly, but could not scan.  

I kept receiving the following error:  "Cannot communicate with scanner.  Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off.  Check status.  Scanner driver will be closed.  2.1.0."

Thanks again, I hope anyone else having this issue finds this article.

-Michelle

Thanks, Michael.  Just saw your post.  Will try this today and let you know.  Thanks again!

Dear Michael, 

That worked - thank you very much! 

Alice

i have the same problem and when I tried this solution and when I open settings for the Network Scan Utility there is nothing listed in the box that says Scanner.  When I click Register Scanner, and allow the network connections I am at a screen titled "Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector"  under "TWAIN Data Source" the only printer is one I had a year ago.  And Under Network Devices there is nothing.  My only option is to Exit.

I don't know what to do to get my Scaner to work for the MG7720 printer.

Thank You

Michael, 

I stumbled upon this thread because I'm having a similar issue with using a 9000F Mark II to scan on a Macbook.

My concern is where you mention avoiding USB hubs or extension devices.  I need to use a USB-C adapter (since that's the only type of port my computer has) in order to connect this scanner.  Why would this be the cause of my problems?

The scanner is recognized by OSX and I can scan through the driver itself, but it's MP Navigator where I get this particular error.  Why would the extension cable affect use through MP Navigator and not the driver?  I'm also trying to scan film, so the limited options with scanning theough the basic driver interface is unacceptable.

sssmith
Apprentice

Recently I began getting the same error codes when trying to scan using the Navigator.  I run Win 10 x64 on a MacBook Pro using Bootcamp, and it had worked fine.  Tuesday it stopped working.  I have dowloaded and installed the current versions of all programs for the PIXMA MG6120 which I have and tried various approaches to resolving the problem with no  luck.  The IJ Network utility shows the printer as available with a lengthy alpha-numeric port name.  The printer function works fine.  The copy function works fine.  What do Code:2, 145, 50 mean, and how do I get the scanner to work again?

Hi sssmith,

If the steps in the above post did not correct the issue, it is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Announcements