cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC NOT FINDING CANON PIXMA IP8720

evetterios
Apprentice

Hi there,

I am going totally nuts. My Canon Pixma IP8720 is not being found by my Mac computer (running Mojave 10.14.5). I have tried reloading the drivers, I have tried connecting it via a USB cable and still the printer cannot be found. The power light is currently on but the wifi light is NOT ON and when I hold down the cancel light the power light doesnt blink on and off. I am totally ok with not connecting the printer via WIFI but right now I can't use the printer at all because my computer can't find it!

Please help!

Thank you!

Evette

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@evetterios wrote:

Hi there,

I am going totally nuts. My Canon Pixma IP8720 is not being found by my Mac computer (running Mojave 10.14.5). I have tried reloading the drivers, I have tried connecting it via a USB cable and still the printer cannot be found. The power light is currently on but the wifi light is NOT ON and when I hold down the cancel light the power light doesnt blink on and off. I am totally ok with not connecting the printer via WIFI but right now I can't use the printer at all because my computer can't find it!

Please help!

Thank you!

Evette

Greetings,

You do not press the "Cancel" button, you press and hold the Wi-Fi button until the power light flashes twice, then release.  At that point the blue Wi-Fi lamp should be flahing quickly. If its not, STOP and review your steps, you cannot proceed otherwise.

I would suggest starting over.  Turn off the printer and unplug from the wall.

On your MAC: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners.  Ensure no failed printer instances exist in the list of installed printers. 

Now remove all Canon related Printer Software from your Applications Folder.  Finder > Applications > Drag to Trash. 

Restart the MAC for good measure. 

In case you aren't using the latest downloads avaiilable for your printer, please download a fresh copy here

Now you are ready to reconnect the printer to power and begin the set up process again.

Instructions for Cableless Set Up For MAC

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you so much for this! I planned to print a bunch of things for gifts for Christmas and I am SO bummed that my printer isnt working.

So i tried to follow your instructions but it looks like my printer isnt even turning off when i press the power button. The wifi button doesnt light up either. I am not sure what is going on. Is there a way to reset my printer to factory settings somehow?

Thank you so much!

Evette

Hi, evetterios.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

When the iP8720 is plugged in and powered on, does the orange light flash?  If so, how many times does it flash between pausing?  Refer to the iP8720's online manual for information about the error indicated by alarm lamp flashing.

If the computer is a laptop, ensure it is connected to power when using a USB cord; USB signal strength on battery power can be too low for the printer to detect and communicate.

If your wifi router supports 5G, ensure the computer is on the standard 2.4 GHz connection.  The iP8720 is only able to communicate on 2.4 GHz wifi, and most 5G routers keep the two types of wireless communication separate to maintain faster 5G speeds.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@evetterios wrote:

Thank you so much for this! I planned to print a bunch of things for gifts for Christmas and I am SO bummed that my printer isnt working.

So i tried to follow your instructions but it looks like my printer isnt even turning off when i press the power button. The wifi button doesnt light up either. I am not sure what is going on. Is there a way to reset my printer to factory settings somehow?

Thank you so much!

Evette

Sometimes a power surge can "confuse" the printer. it happened to me with a different model.

Try unplugging the printer. Then press the power button. Plug printer back in.

Does the printer respond now to the power button? If so, go back and follow Rick's guidance. If not, contact Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

evetterios
Apprentice
Thank you all so much! No, John, when the printer is plugged in the orange light does NOT flash. Instead I get a solid white power light that I can’t turn off. The WiFi button and light don’t appear to turn on either.

I tried unplugging it and holding the power button and plugging it back in but nothing happens! It’s super weird!

Evette

You should give Canon a call then. 1-800-OK-CANON.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements