cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping An Old Canon Printer Running On Windows 10

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

I've got an old Canon i960 printer running in Win10. It still works well, still makes beautiful prints and I refuse to consign it to the recycle bin until I see smoke rolling out of it.

Bur recently I've installed Easy PhotoPrint EX because it made it easy to make 4x6 prints using the printer's separate 4x6 paper tray. The app opens OK but when attempting to select photos to print the following pops up.

Capture.PNG

Of course it supported the i960 printer just fine in WinXP and Win7. Snooping around in the Canon Knowledge Base, I found the following info. The i960 is listed as one of the models not supported with Win10. 

Information on Windows 10 and Older Printer / Scanner Models
Solution
If you are considering upgrading your operating system, please be aware that the products below are not supported with Windows 10. Although Canon will not issue drivers for these products to support the Windows 10 operating system, the Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers should function in the new Windows 10 environment with some limitations which are currently unknown to Canon. If you chose not to upgrade to Windows 10, the Canon products listed below will continue to work with your current operating system.

In spite of the info above, I was unable to find any Canon drivers for Win7 or 8 to try installing. There's also no newer version of the Easy PhotoPrint software than what I already have installed. I'm thinking the printer initially installed with Win10's generic drivers.

So any suggestions for a workaround or some other approach I might take? I doubt that there's any third party software designed to work with i960 printer's 4x6 auxiliary paper tray.

1 REPLY 1

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi BurnUnit,

The last driver that was provided was compatible with Windows XP.

With the versions of Windows that followed, the i960 was installed using the Add a Printer Wizard or through Windows Update, which installed the Windows driver.

To use the i960 with Canon programs, once the Windows driver was installed, the next step was to download and install the "Printer Driver Add-On Module".  This provide full functionality of the printer.

Although not supported, please download and install the "Printer Driver Add-On Module" from the Support Page of your i960.

Please use this link:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/i-...

Once that page has loaded, please select Windows 7 (x64) from the Operating system drop down box and click on the Drivers box.  Please download and install the "Printer Driver Add-On Module".

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements