cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

* In England, with 10 Communists, and a new MG7753*

Tern
Apprentice

Couldn't think of an interesting topic line so thought I'd try that. Because, basically, it's correct.

Anyway . . . I'm posting as a newly registered member who hopefully won't be disqualified on grounds of age (septuagenarian) or residence (England) but who can't seem to find any kind of Canon community forum other than over in the, er, Colonies. My post is all about. . . envelope printing, so if that's no-one's idea of a fun read, leave now.

I have owned a Canon Pixma MP600 for almost 10 years. Sadly, it is (like me) failing a bit. So, I've assigned it to a standby role and purchased a replacement printer, a Canon Pixma MG7753. (I much preferred its shape and substance to the new 8000 series.)

Being someone whose first encounter with words on envelopes was as an ink monitor at primary school, a responsibility which included the filling of classroom desk inkwells and was thus of higher status than that of a milk monitor who never filled anything, I'm always nervous of new technology. And especially, a new printer. I've now had the MG7753 for one week. And yes, I've learned how to switch it on and print some photographs and documents.

Today, I wanted to print out a C5 envelope -- an envelope whose size allows a folded sheet of A4 paper to reside neatly and securely inside it. I'd thought the MG7753 would readily allow for the printing of so widely used an envelope, but inexplicably, the Canon UK / Canon Europe model manual refers only to DL and what it describes as 'Com 10' envelopes.

Nobody in the UK -- and one would've thought Canon UK might've realised that -- nobody has ever heard of Com 10 (or, if they have, thought it had something to do with The Kremlin). Our envelope sizes are C4 for A4, C5 for A5 and DL for, um, DL. What the Russians do with envelopes or Kremlins is of no interest to us.

Canon UK support is noticeable only by its absence when seeking information about how to print a C5 envelope. Either one feeds  the MG7753 a DL or 10 members of the Communist Party or nothing. However . . .

Turning to my Microsoft Office 2000 suite purchased in 1999 (I adore old things, as any true narcissist would)  I see that I can use an Envelope / Print / option setting for the C5 size at 162mm x 229mm (which, in English money rather than foreign, is slightly less than six-and-a-half inches by 9 inches.) I assume a printer as seemingly advanced as a 2016 model year Canon Pixma MG7753 will not have the slightest difficulty in printing an envelope prepared by a 1998 model year Microsoft word processor . . . but. But:

Can I just stick the envelope into Cassette 2 and adjust the positioning grips accordingly -- or do I have to somehow, in some way and for some arcane reason,  'register' the envelope with the MG7753 to get it to actually print it? If so: how??

Helping hands across the sea would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, from England. Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Looks like Com 10 is what US calls a Business Envelope. 

https://www.actionenvelope.com/ae/control/category/~category_id=regular

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks, John. That clears that up.  Smiley Happy Now . . . how to print C5: any ideas?

Tern
Apprentice

Ah. All sorted. It is a bit unfortunate that the Canon User Manual for this printer gives the impression that the only envelopes it is capable of printing are DLs and COM 10s; the manual might just as easily have added: 'Other envelope sizes can be printed from your word processing program'.

I've just loaded cassette 2 with some C5 envelopes, positioned them accurately with the guides, returned the cassette to the printer and left the existing "A4 paper size" registered display unchanged -- it seemed wholly unnecessary, as well as undesirable, to re-configure the printer when I wasn't requiring it to manage a process but to merely print an outcome. 

In Microsoft Word, I simply went to Tools / Envelopes and Labels /  Envelopes tab / Options and (a) unticked the return address field then (b) changed the delivery address field from Auto so as to set the first line of text at 3 inches from the top. Then I input the address data, clicked 'print' . . . and that was it. Job done. The MG7753 undertook the task without a hitch.

Problem solved, then.

Smiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements