cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help choosing a driver for my MG6821

fdm2000
Contributor

Have new win 10 desktop pc want to set up my MG6821 printer (previously on a win 7 pc). In drivers page I find 3 that work with it. The recommended driver is a full driver and software with over 48MB. There is an XPS driver at 19MB which I am considering but wondering which I should choose. Will the XPS driver do the basics of print, scan and copy or do I need the full Canon software as well? Are there any caveats if I choose the XPS driver?

Would appreciate any advice and insights,

Frank

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi Frank,

Go with the XPS and MG optional drivers.

The XPS driver offers support for 16bit gradient printing over the standard 8bit offered in the full drivers package. 

This won't be noticeable in text, but if you print graphs of pictures, they will look better.  Windows 10 will have no problems using the XPS driver. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the response and advice. Not trying to belabor the driver question but will the XPS driver do all the basics like Scan, Copy, print preferences etc without the un-needed added Canon software that is contained in the full driver with software?

Frank

Hi,

The MG provides that portion and added functionality.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick for the assistance, wondering which MG driver you were referring to: there is an MG full featured driver with Canon software at 49.3 MB and a MG XPS at 19.7 MB. If the XPS does print, scan and copy with Preferences I would want to go with it to conserve on HDD space.

Frank

Hi fdm2000,

The "MG6800 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.00" contains what you need to print and scan with your computer.

The "MG6800 series XPS Printer Driver Ver. 5.90" require that the "MG6800 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.00" are installed first.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements