cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Generic PCL6 vs Generic Plus PCL6 Driver

smulpuru
Apprentice

Hi There, could someone point me to the differences between Generic PCL6 vs Generic Plus PCL6 Driver are?

Both appear to be UPD, wondering why two releases?

1. [Windows 64bit] Generic Plus PCL6 Printer Driver V2.50 
  2. [Windows 64bit] Generic PCL6 Printer Driver V3.11
10 REPLIES 10

Danny

Hi, smulpuru!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon printer model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

H Danny, 

This is for our enterprise print server. We have various  models of Canon MFPs ImageRunner-ADV

I noticed two UPDs from Canon, wondering why canon has two and looking to pick one to use. 

It would be nice to have something better than a non-answer.

I have the same question: What's the difference between Generic & Generic Plus?
It doesn't matter what printer. We have hundreds of Canon printers of various models. Please just answer the question.

It appears that, even though the Generic Plus 2.90 driver is 5-6 years newer than Generic 3.11, there are some features missing from Generic Plus.

It would be nice to know what's been removed so we can make an educated decision on whether to use a 6-year-old driver that has more features, vs a brand new driver with fewer features.

Different groups support different models, so it does matter what printer(s) you're using. 

Okay, I believe they're mostly various ImageRunner models, but I'd have to log into each one to find model numbers. We have 5 print servers, and there are dozens on each, so that would be a tedious process. I suppose Microsoft could do a better job of querying each printer to provide pertinent info.

I've connected to a few. To start, we have:

iR-ADV 8905
iR-ADV 6870
iR-ADV 4551
iR-ADV C5850

Another batch:

iR-ADV 8705
iR-ADV 6855
iR-ADV 6755
iR-ADV 4751

That's super helpful! imageRUNNER products are all supported by the dealer network. You should have a Canon Dealer your company uses to maintain these machines. They also support them. They are the ones who you want to reach out to and ask about the differences between the drivers. If you're unsure who it is, there might be a decal somewhere on the units with contact information. If your company doesn't have a contract with a Canon Dealer, call our team at 800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666), and they will be happy to help you find a local dealer who can help!

We do have a guy at a different site who interacts with Canon Dealer Network, but I manage the Windows Print Servers. I can ask him, but...

It should be a relatively simple question to answer: Which driver, Generic or Generic Plus, would best support our large installed base of Canon imageRUNNER printers?

It appears to be Generic, which is a half-dozen years old. Does Canon have any plans to update the Generic Driver, or are you pushing people towards the Generic Plus, which has fewer features & options?

Announcements