cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default to black and white printing.

mmox
Apprentice

I have an Apple computer and a Canon MG6120 printer.  Can I set it to default to black and white print?

6 REPLIES 6

Jessica
Enthusiast
Hi mmox!

In order to provide you with the proper steps, please let everyone know what version OS (Mac OS 10.x) you are running on your machine. That way, the community will be able to assist you with a workflow appropriate for your computer.

Thanks!

I have the Mac OS X operating system version 10.6.8.  My printer is a Canon MG6120.  My question is how do I set it up to default to black and white printing.

Thanks 

KimP888
Apprentice

I'm on a Max OS 10.8.5, and have a MX922. I'd like to default to black and white as well. Or, can the color catridges be removed without causing damage/drying ink?

Thanks.

Ramona
Authority

Hi mmox and KimP888,

All ink tanks will need to be installed in the printer in order for it to print, even if you only plan on printing using the black ink.  Please follow the steps below to create a grayscale preset that will utilize only the black ink in the printer:

1.  Open the APPLICATIONS folder.

2.  Open the TextEdit program.  When the program is open, a small white window will appear.

3.  Click FILE at the top left corner and choose PRINT.

4.  In the Print dialog screen, look for the third drop-down menu, labeled as 'Textedit'.

5.  Expand this Menu and choose QUALITY AND MEDIA.

6.  In the Quality and Media menu, check the box labeled GRAYSCALE.

7.  Next, look up for the second dropdown menu, labeled PRESETS or STANDARD.

8.  Expand this menu and choose SAVE AS.

9.  Type in 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White', then click OK.

10.  Simply change the preset back to 'Standard' for color printing and then 'Grayscale' or 'Black and White' for black and white printing.  Please note that you will be able to select the Grayscale preset now from any application you print from.  

Please note the following when performing grayscale printing:

1.  If you have any other paper type selected other than plain paper (i.e., photo paper, envelopes, labels, etc.), or perform duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer will use the color inks to make the grayscale text on the page, even with the grayscale option selected.

2.  Sometimes there is coding embedded in webpages and certain PDF files that tell the printer to print using color ink; in these instances, the printer will produce the black on the page using a combination of the color inks, even if the grayscale option is selected; there is not a way to force the printer to print in grayscale mode.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have the same issue, I wish to have the default set to black and white. However, when attempting the steps you have outlined, my system is apparently not the same, probably because there have been updates since the last posting. I am running on a Macbook Pro with OS 10.10.5, would you have updated instructions as to how I might change the default? I am tired of running out of CMY ink when I print a majority B/W simply because I forget to check.

Thank you.

Hello.

If the Quality and Media menu is not available in the Print dialog screen, the correct drivers may not be installed.  The Quality and Media menu allows you to enable grayscale printing.  

Please visit www.usa.canon.com to download the latest CUPS printer drivers for your product.

If you continue to have difficulties, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements