cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Pixma MX922 to phone line where answering maching is in another room

rbentonattdnet
Contributor

Our MX922 was previously connected directly between a phone jack and phone/answering machine combination. However, that phone line was associated with a home business which has closed, and the dedicated phone line for it has been disconnected. We want to continue using the unit for automatically receiving FAXes, but the answering machine for our home phone line is in a separate room -- it's impossible to connect the printer between it and the incoming phone line. Is there anything possible? To make things worse, I suppose -- the answering machine has a "toll-saving" feature, where it normally waits four rings to pick up, but answers after two if there are any messages on it, allowing one to call and know there are no messages to play if it rings more than twice. So the machine could be answering after only two rings!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks! Anticipating your response, I figured out a way to use an unused pair of phone wires to create a direct connection between the printer and the answering machine, So all is now well. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Darius
Whiz

Hi rbentonattdnet.

In order to automatically receive faxes when the printer is being connected on a line with an answering machine, it will either need:

• to be connected between the answering machine and the source of your phone service (TEL Priority, connected inline),

• you will need a Direct Ring Pattern number on the line (DRPD), or

• manually receive faxes (TEL Priority, not inline).

Directions for the fax setup may be found [HERE].

To manually receive a fax, press the Color or Black Start button on the printer when a fax is incoming on the line, or when you hear the fax beeping through the answering machine.

Thanks! Anticipating your response, I figured out a way to use an unused pair of phone wires to create a direct connection between the printer and the answering machine, So all is now well. Thanks again.

Announcements