cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon ip4700 printer

Gunny
Contributor

Hi All

New to this forum, but not new to computers and printers. 

I will try to make this as short as possible. I was given this Canon ip4700 printer. I was using a Canon MP530 for a long time and was very pleased with it, but felt it was getting a little tired, so I would use this new one I got.

I did a lot of printing on CD/DVD's with my old printer and it has always did a great job. So when I did some research on the new one and seen that it would print on CD/DVD's too I jumped for joy. There again I did my research on the ip4700 and went to the Canon site and downloaded all the drivers for it including the software for printing on CD's. I was thinking this great, everything was going smooth. I am running Win 7 32 bit. So I made sure I got all the right drivers for it.

After doing this I could not get it to print on CD's, it printed all the rest of the stuff just fine, printed plenty of test pages. I thought well maybe I got the wrong software, so I deleted it all and redid it, and I still had the same problem, no printing on CD's. So I contacted Canon and asked them what was my problem, and after several replies back they told me this printer is not designed to print on CD's, plain and simple.

But my question is this why do they sell the CD trays for it and have the software for it and the printer itself has the slot for the tray to slide into. ?  I have to believe what they are saying, since they make them and should know what they can and cannot do. Plus the fact I could never get it to work. And having a older MP530 printer that did this printing and have used it for several years, I felt I had a little knowledge of how to set it up and use this feature.

So I hope someone can shed a little light on this for me. 

Thanx.....Gunny

4 REPLIES 4

Keckeson
Apprentice

Printer iP4700 I've had for years and printed many CD / DVD discs with CD-LabelPrint without problems. But suddenly stopped the program to write correctly and prints only in yellow.
Paper printouts are going well.

Could it be that the printhead on CD / DVD has dried, and what can I then do?

Hi keckeson

I don't understand your post here, you are asking me a question, why. ? Ypu should be asking a question aimed at the brainy people on here if you read my post you would see I am having a problem too and asking for some help.

Thanx....Gunny

Hi gunny!
Sorry if you misunderstood, the question I posed is not directed to you but to other readers who might have an answer. Did not think I needed to start a new thread since there was already one with this printer. Actually it is not only you who read the thread.

To you, I just wanted to mention that this printer can make the CD / DVD labels.
You wrote that Canon gave you an answer that is not possible, but it can be done.

have a good time
Keckeson

Hi keckeson

I would think it would be better to start a new post, I think you will get more people reading it that way. I know it is not only me that is reading this post, but to me it makes sense to start a new post when it pertains to a diff problem. If you was having the same problem then I could see posting your problem along with mine.

Ya I have found out it can be done with this Mod printer. It surprises me that Canon don't want you to know this.  It would mean a lot more ink sales for them I am sure and they say this is where the money is, and not the printer sales.

Announcements