cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MX870 - Scanner not working after Mac OS High Sierra Update

rexus31
Contributor

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I recently upgratded the OS on my iMac to mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.1.  I've noticed the scanner function on my MX870 (connected via wireless) will not operate.  When I click on Scan/Import photos or documents in the Canon Solutions Menu, I see the scanner icon bouncing in the tool bar at the bottom, then it disappears and I get the folowing error message:

MP Navigator EX quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I'm not sure if this helps, but this is the first section of the report the system sends to Apple when the issue is encountered:

Process: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
Path: /Applications/Canon Utilities/MP Navigator EX 3.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MP Navigator EX 3.1
Identifier: jp.co.canon.bj.printer.app.MPNEX310
Version: Version 3.1.0 (3.1.0)
Build Info: MP Navigator EX 3.1-1~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-11-15 07:39:45.325 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B48)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: A53C885F-95A1-3111-2313-9C7D531A0D71

What I've tried so far:

- Serached the Canon website for updated drivers or firmware but it says everything is up to date

- Powered the unit off/on

- Unplugged the unti for a minute, plugged it back in

32 REPLIES 32

NYGazilla
Apprentice

I called Canon USA support center (1 (800) 652-2666).  The tech support person who answered was not helpful at all. She was eating something and kept saying that "You have an OLD printer and often time it is not comatible with a very new techology."   We know that, but stating so doesn't help at all. Also, she kept telling me that "She doesn't know mach about it."  I ended up asking how to download older version of MP Navigator, which I had already uninstalled.  She relactantly showed me how. 

Canon USA product page: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx...

Make sure to chose operation system 10.11 or older version. (If you don't change the operating system, the site automatically ditects High Sierra and you won't see the older version of MP Navigator)

Download MP Navigator EX Ver. 3.1.5 (OS X) under the software.  

This version was released less than 10 months ago. 09/10/17.   Canon's tech support person kept saying MX870 is too old is really not commended attitude. It was really disappointing, but older version of MP Navigator should help. 

Odradek15
Apprentice

I've had this problem on and off over the years since I got the scanner, and it started happening within the first couple of years after I first bought my scanner back in 2011. Right now I'm at a dead stop because the scanner will not show up anywhere on my mac (currently on High Sierra 10.13.6).

Luckily, I have a PC laptop that I can use as a workaround, but this is not at all an ideal workaround.

Why can't Canon get this right?

I saw one reply about calling Canon support. I'm a freelance illustrator and graphic designer working on a shoestring budget and often working with tight deadlines. I don't have time to sit on the phone with a support tech every time this obnoxious issue happens.

I got this PIXMA MX870 almost ten years ago, sure, but the age of the machine isn't the issue. Mechanically, it works perfectly, and nothing about the tech it uses to interface with the computer is anything close to obsolete.

This is a software/OS interface problem, and it just seems like Canon can't be bothered to actually work on a solution.

I might have to get rid of this expensive, time sucking mistake and get something else that will continue to be supported by its manufacturer longer than 18 months.

If you sell a scanner/printer that suddenly becomes useless every time you update your mac, unless the user calls tech support, and then has to uninstall all the related drivers, software, etc, and then have the support tech "walk you through" a procedure of reinstalling - what are you even doing?

Odradek15

My MX 870 is a few years old, maybe 7 or 8.    I love it, so much so that I bought a second hand one locally. Now I knew when I bought a new Mac, and if I went as high, as high sierrra the scanning would not work as it used to.    I changed my Mac last year and got a 27 inch retina, however I kept it on sierra.   I got Apple to show me how to add the mx 870 as a scanner.  Now I have a folder on my desktop called (All scans from 1 Feb 19) so it still scans through adf, but all scans now go into this folder. I also print a bit from it, the printing side has not changed, but the software for the scanner and Mac has changed but you can work around it.   Ive got a professional OKI attached to the Mac, and the canon beats that one hands down.

I have relatives who have PC and MX870 and nothing has changed for them, the software still works like it used to, so its Apple not working with Mac, Im told or vice versa.

The rellies have printed thousands of pages, its never missed a beat. I can tell you now, try and work around this issue. The new canon printers look like kids toys and I wouldnt expect to get 18 months out of them.

I get all my refills on Australian ebay, cheap as chips. Not even a $1 per cartridge.   I love my MX 870 so much, thats why I have one in reserve, I agree it sucks that the scanner does not  work as seamless that it did, but I can live with a Folder on the desktop.    Get Apple to help you.  In Aus, we can get support 9am - 9pm daily including weekends.

I have not updated to the latest Mac platform, but I understood that MX 870 would work just as well.

This machine owes me nothing, thats why I have the spare ready to go!

Announcements