cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MG7120 not printing text correctly

davef41
Apprentice

Someone gave me a canon mg7120 and I'm trying to get it to work correctly for my granddaughter who is going to college in the fall. When printing text some of it looks faded. the printed nozzle check in the 'Black Squares' at the top also looks faded in areas. Instead of straight vertical lines in the grid, it shows  bowed lines to the left and right of the vertical lines.

davef41_0-1649186440223.png

I have put fresh ink in it and done cleaning and deep cleaning. That didn't fix it. I have had the printer do a print head alignment. I'm computer challenged, but that looked OK to me.

I have taken the print head out and flushed it with a mixture of distilled water and Isopropyl alcohol. After letting the print head completely dry, I again did the clean and deep clean. I printed a new nozzle check and it looks just like the others.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this and can it be corrected?

Thanks all.

5 REPLIES 5

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi davef41,

Please perform an encoder cleaning.   The steps to perform this can be viewed here:

https://support.usa.canon.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=ART142916

After cleaning, please print another nozzle check.  If there is no improvement, your PIXMA MG7120 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I cleaned the encoder as per your instructions. Thank you for posting this. However, it did not help. I printed a nozzle check and everything looks good, just like the one above, except for the black ink (PGBK). The letters, PGBK are blurred and the grid pattern is at it was before.

Hi davef41,

Your PIXMA MG7120 would require service.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Dave,

All of us with PIXMA MG7120s are having printing problems with the PGBK cartridge. You can check on Google to see others that are frustrated with this issue. We just purchased a Canon PGBK cartridge to make sure it was setup correctly. No luck. It seems Canon would like for us to switch to another company.

Someone did say it will print okay if you switch to photo or matt paper. Then it is forced to use the black ink instead of the PGBK cartridge. It just wastes a lot of ink in a cartridge that won't print correctly.

Julie

Thanks, Julie. I may give that a try. So far, the granddaughter hasn't said she needs a printer at college yet.

I did get an HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 for myself. So far, it is working well.

Announcements