cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon MX340 compatibility with M1 Mac Big Sur

nsterge
Apprentice

I got the new M1 macbook pro that is running macOS 11.0 Big Sur.  I tried to find the drivers for my cannon MX340 printer on the cannon website for this operating system, but none are listed.  Am I missing something, or is this printer not yet supported for this operating system.  If not, is it known when it will be supported.  

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi nsterge,

The PIXMA MX340 is not supported with macOS v11.0.  The last version of the macOS that was supported was OSX v10.11 (El Capitan).

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30 PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 weekdays and Saturdays after 11 AM ET (8 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you! 

Mateodecolon
Apprentice

There is compatibility.  I was determined to get this to work after suddenly losing my printer when buying a new Mac.  Here are the steps.

1.  Go to Gutenprint on Sourceforge and download the latest package.  For me it was version 5.2.14 located at:  https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.4/

2.  Install that package on your Mac

3.  Go to add printer in your Mac

4.  Add your internal IP address for the printer

5.  For Protocol use:  LINE PRINTER DAMEON - LPD!!!  (Very Important, the others won't work)

6.  In USE down at the bottom select "Select Software"
7.  Now you'll see a TON of drivers that are from the Gutenprint package you installed in step 1.  For us it would be MX340

8.  Add Printer.  

That's it!! 
I'll also attach an image of my settings.  BigSurMX340.png

hugovictorious
Apprentice

This was incredibly helpful. Thank you.

Announcements