cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't share the printer.

Alan1129
Contributor

I have two computers in the same room.
Both are running Windows 10 and share the same internet connection wirelessly.
They are currently sharing one Canon MG2520 printer by moving the one USB cable back and forth.
I have already set up the printer as a shared device on my PC.
But when I click on Add Printer, the laptop doesn't see it .
What am I doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try searching for the computers hostname from the laptop.  

\\computername\printername

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

How do I do that?

Alan1129
Contributor
I still have the same problem.
Can anyone help, please?

Alan1129
Contributor

Can anyone help, please?

Alan1129
Contributor

Can anyone help, please?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The MG2520 only has a USB interface.  Its really designed to be used / connected directly to one device.  Its possible to move a USB connection between devices as well, but its not as convenient. 

In a network environment, the printer  can be connected to to one computer and shared.  This allows other networked computers to print with the following limitations.  The PC the printer is connected to must be turned on for the shared printer to be accessible.

Once the printer is shared, it can be added to another machine using the add printer dialog.  

Using the example I provided above.

shadowsports_0-1656040132564.png

The computer name is the "host name" of the computer the printer is physically connected to via USB.  The printer name is the share name of the printer you can specify when you enable sharing for the device.  Again, on the computer the printer is physically connected to. 

shadowsports_1-1656040416453.png

Other possible solution.  Consider purchasing a true network capable printer.  You may find it more convenient  than having to deal with a USB connection, a device that always has be be powered on and the other quirks that come along with managing what is really an unreliable way to print from multiple devices. 

Hope this will be helpful. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements