cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

editing JPEG photos using DPP4

cburau
Apprentice

I am new to the DSLR community after a long hiatus (I had a Canon film SLR!).  I am learning how to use my camera and the DPP4 editing software. I have been shooting photos in JPEG and just found out that I should be shooting in RAW in order to use most of the features in DPP4. 

Is there a way that I can edit some of my JPEG photos? I've got some great shots, and I would love to do some minor editing that would improve them. I have a MacBook. 

Thank you in advance for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

DPP has quite a bit of ability to edit JPG files; the basic window with exposure, picture style, etc. isn't useful nor is the digital lens optimizer tab but the remaining 6 tool tabs all work with jpg files.  For example, you will need to make brightness and contrast settings in the tone curve adjustment tab.

I shoot everything in RAW which does allow a lot more versatility but all isn't lost with DPP if you have jpg files.  Other programs like the Adobe creative cloud suite will also work with JPG but I bet that DPP will do everything you need to do if you are just needing to make some minor adjustments to your jpg images.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

DPP has quite a bit of ability to edit JPG files; the basic window with exposure, picture style, etc. isn't useful nor is the digital lens optimizer tab but the remaining 6 tool tabs all work with jpg files.  For example, you will need to make brightness and contrast settings in the tone curve adjustment tab.

I shoot everything in RAW which does allow a lot more versatility but all isn't lost with DPP if you have jpg files.  Other programs like the Adobe creative cloud suite will also work with JPG but I bet that DPP will do everything you need to do if you are just needing to make some minor adjustments to your jpg images.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements