cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 and Rebel Xsi

Vianna
Apprentice

The  new computer I bought comes with Windows 8 and I can't upload the photos from my Rebel XSi now. I installed the software that came with my Rebel (ver 17.1) but it must be outdated. Or is there a different reason?

If it's the outdated software, can someone please direct me to the new downlad link? Here's the link to the only information I found - which isnt much or helpful:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

Thank you - and happy thanksgiving.

20 REPLIES 20

Mykolas
Authority

Vianna,

In order to work with Windows 8, the software will need to be updated to the latest versions.  You will need to download the updates to EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional from the Canon USA website.  The link below will take you to the download page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Same problem as a lot of people; I've uploaded the latest utility update several times and still nothing... help!

Semihandmade,

We were laboring under the impression that you had the EOS Rebel XSi and not the EOS Rebel XT. 

Since the EOS Digital Rebel XT came out some time before the release of Windows 8, no drivers for the "PC Connect" communication mode are available.  Older drivers from the CD will not install.  

There is a workaround for this as this camera supports the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) driver that is built into all versions of Windows since XP.  To enable this, first make sure that your camera is disconnected from the computer.

Press the MENU button and then use the right arrow key to select the second "Tools" tab in the menu.  Use the down arrow key to select the item labeled "Communication" and then press the SET button.  Use the up arrow key to select "Print/PTP" and then press SET again.  Press the MENU button to exit the menu system.

At this point, you should be able to reconnect the camera to the computer, and the system should recognize it as a digital camera.  You should then be able to use the operating system's built in utilities such as Windows Live Gallery to download your images.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ok

so now where do we find the:

tools tab

communicatio key

or set button

in windows 8?

thanks

Frank

or even the menu tab/key

You would locate these buttons on your camera (I had the same thought, took me reading it a couple of times to get it). 

Ahh, yes, but my Rebel XTi does not have a "communications" option. Now what????

Hello Linwallace,

The EOS Rebel XTi does not have the Communications option, it is an Auto PTP camera.  The best method to connect and download pictures in this situation would be to use an actual USB card reader.  This enables you to download directly from the card using Windows. 

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available through our Support Site.  Please use this to Contact Us.

Ok folks. I'm new here and had this same problem with my Rebel XT. I figured out how to get to the necessary buttons ON THE CAMERA!

Press the "Menu" button (on the camera)

Along the top row there are four icons

1 a red icon for the camera

2 a blue icon for for a "play" button

3 an amber set up botton that has a "1" after the two tool icons

4 an amber set up botton that has a "2" after the two tool icons

Scroll along this top menu of icons to the 4th icon (the one with the "2" after the two tool icons)

Press the set button to select this 4th icon

That is the screen in which the communications choices appear

Scroll down to "communications" and you will be able to scroll back and forth between the "print/PTP" and "PC connection" choices.

As others have indicated, select the "print/PTP" choice.

After I did all that and reconnected my Rebel XT, the computer recognized it right away.

I'm in business.

I hope this helps folks.

Carry on smartly!

--Greg

Announcements