cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't canon update drivers for Mac OS?

whtw14
Contributor

I forgot that canon does not update drivers and updated to Sonoma 14.1.1 and there isn't a driver update yet. this is ridiculous and has me wanting to leave canon altogether. I use my canon to stream on my computer, streamyard and now i can't use it to stream and who knows when they will update. very frustrating

32 REPLIES 32

so am new to apple...just got M3 Mac Pro yesterday, camera I am using is 5D Mark iii ( which connects and transfers photos normally ). Apple does not register my 5D what so ever....

incompatible softwares ? or should I just use a card reader for transferring photos to Mac?

thx

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The conflict did not come from Canon. It came because of Mac OS change. It is a common but certainly a problematic issue if you use a Mac computer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This is a constantly recurring topic in these forums.  Apple releases an OS update, which breaks apps and pre-existing codebase.  It happens all the time, to smart phones a laptops alike.

Apple owners almost universally feel it is the responsibility for third party apps to immediately release updates to keep up with the constantly changing Apple Operating Systems.  It’s not.  Apple charges licensing fess to companies to develop spps for the Apple platforms.  With each OS update that breaks existing apps, the third party companies must pay a new licensing fee to Apple before they upgrade their apps AND have it posted to the Apple Store.

BTW.  It is the full responsibility of the end user to look before you leap.  Do not be so eager to update your OS before finding out what impact the update will have on our apps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Unlike over 20 years ago, the fee for developing apps and applications with Apple is effectively zero.  $99 per year for all Apple devices and an unlimited number of software titles.

There are two types of software companies out there.  Those that are proactive and those that are reactive.

Apple makes all newer OS versions available as early as June of each year (developer previews, betas, etc.).  Those companies that are proactive (like both my day job company and for my home business), will check if existing software has issues with the newer OS versions and plan accordingly.

We all know what happens with reactive companies.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

“ Unlike over 20 years ago, the fee for developing apps and applications with Apple is effectively zero. “

I would beg to differ.  I am talking about Corporate Enterprise, multi-seat licensing, not individual, single seat user licenses.

[EDIT] The development tools are indeed free for a single user.  But Apple will still charge you license fee to post your app to the Apple Store.

MS Windows works the same way.  You can download and install development tools for free.  Microsoft charges you for the advanced development tools for multi-seat licenses that use the more feature-rich GUI and collaboration tools.

It's now the same for all companies.

--
Ricky

@rs-eos wrote:

It's now the same for all companies.

It is, except Apple breaks your codebase.  If you want to post an updated app, then you are back to square one.  You must go through the certification and licensing process all over again.  

Not sure where you're getting this information.  I've been writing software for Macs and other Apple devices for over 30 years.  At any rate, I still contend there are two types of software companies.  Hopefully Canon can start to be more proactive in the future.

--
Ricky

I think you missed my point.  “Look before you leap.”

If you update your OS with the latest update the day it comes out and your apps break, then I feel it is your own fault.  Apple has been breaking their codebase with OS updates for year and will continue to do so.

Canon is not the only company to experience these types of issues with Apple.

This has actually happened to us. We did a bunch of massive updates based on dev releases of macOS back when Apple was switching to Intel. Everything was working perfectly up through the Release Candidate. Then when the OS dropped, something changed and all our updates were broken. We literally had to go back to the drawing board. Every single bit of our work for MONTHS was for naught. At that point, the business decision was made not to write software based off of beta software for Apple, because minor changes can have drastic repercussions.  

Announcements