cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does DPP4 crop my images when opening them?

Paul-1553
Contributor

When I open a CR3 image in DPP4 version 4.17.10.0, the image appears to have been cropped, that is ~5% of the top, bottom, LHS & RHS is missing with no way to retrieve it. Do I have an incorrect setting or have others had this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks John, I just took a couple of test shots and I think that you are correct, DPP shows what I see in the viewfinder, the CR3 out of the camera and Bridge appear to show additional pixels to what I see in the viewfinder.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I am using DPP current version 4.17.2 but I used the previous version with multiple bodies and never noticed a problem.

Go into the crop window and it will show the horizontal and vertical pixel count, does that match your camera's sensor specs?  Hit clear and see if the pixel count changes in the window.

If the image in DPP is cropped, that crop will show on the thumbnail.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi Rodger, the crop window shows 6960x4640 which I believe matches the spec for my EOS R7 sensor. Hitting clear does not change the numbers. The thumbnail in DDP4 shows the cropped image. I use Adobe Bridge to review my photos then use DPP4 to edit them. Neither the Adobe Bridge thumbnail nor the full size image are copped.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Any samples/raw files? Which camera? Pixel height and width?

DPP4 crops more than for example darktable/RawTherapee, but 5% seems to be much.

Hi Peter, I have an EOS R7 with a 6960x4640 sensor I believe. I am struggling to attach CR3 files to the thread - I will try to recreate the same issue with JPG files. Maybe my 5% was an overestimate but the image is definitely cropped, why does DPP4 crop at all?

@Paul-1553 wrote:

Hi Peter, I have an EOS R7 with a 6960x4640 sensor I believe. I am struggling to attach CR3 files to the thread - I will try to recreate the same issue with JPG files. Maybe my 5% was an overestimate but the image is definitely cropped, why does DPP4 crop at all?

You have to have a sharing service like drop box or one drive, make it public, then post the URL here for us to view your Raw files. They will be to large for the forum. I don't think a JPeG will hold the cropping info because it is done in camera and once it's cropped, it's final.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

@Paul-1553 wrote:

Size including optical black, 7128x4732. Size of active area only, 6984x4660. 10 rows/columns cropping at each side is normal. Why cropping 10 rows/columns at all? From RawPedia:

"Demosaicing may rely on sampling the pixels which surround a given pixel. When demosaicing a pixel which lies at the top edge of the raw image, there are no pixels above it, thus it cannot be demosaiced in the same way and at the same quality as those pixels which are surrounded by a sufficiently large number of pixels."

Also, a distortion corrected picture needs more crop.

r7-size.jpg

Attached is one image which I believe shows the issue clearly. It contains the original CR3 file which I can see is not cropped when viewed in Adobe Bridge. When I load the file into DPP4 it appears cropped on my screen and when I save a JPEG version, that version is cropped when viewed in AB and also in Picasa. Saving a new CR3 file results in an uncropped image again when viewed in AB.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/u2VVIXxiAukO24Qo

Seems like distortion correction you can't turn off.

Even if they report the same resolution the one exported from DPP is "closer". darktable to the left and your exported file to the right. The embedded JPEG is same as your exported JPEG.

Skärmbild från 2023-04-18 19-14-35.png

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Paul-1553 wrote:

When I open a CR3 image in DPP4 version 4.17.10.0, the image appears to have been cropped, that is ~5% of the top, bottom, LHS & RHS is missing with no way to retrieve it. Do I have an incorrect setting or have others had this problem?

It sounds like you have set an aspect ratio or it is getting accidently set from time to time (maybe a custom setting), so check the "Shooting 1" menu (at the bottom) "Still img aspect ratio" and make sure it is 3:2, which is the ratio of your entire sensor. Also, if you do want to change the ratio (I like to use 1:1 sometimes because it mimics my medium format Rolleiflex and its large ground glass viewfinder) you will need to go into the "Custom functions 4" (orange menu) and enable "Add cropping information". This will allow you to retain the entire frame but still only show the ratio you set in camera, and also allow you to open the cropping tool and remove the crop you set in camera. If you don't enable "Add cropping information" in camera, only the crop will be displayed and the crop tool cannot restore the whole frame. I shoot Raw only, so I'm not sure it works this way with JPeG or HIF.

I hope this helps 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements