cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are DPP4 edits stored ?

smbjerke
Contributor

It appears edit to raw (.cr3) files are stored within the raw file itself, but where does DPP4 store / maintain edits to .jpg files ? Is this documented somewhere ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Peter wrote:

At least the raw file is modified. I checked sha256 checksum for a raw file before, after and when I had reset it again to the same value.

I know Nikon has corrupted its raw files when transferring the files from the camera to the computer so modifying the raw file is a bad idea. Exiftool creater Phil Harvey has even created a script for those corrupted Nikon files.

I don't know if EOS Utility touches the raw files when importing raw files. I only have EOS Utility in a Virtual Box and struggle to import from camera. Anyone who wants to see if Canon changes anything in the raw file during import can compare sha256 checksum before importing a file and after. There are online tools for sha256 checksum if you don't know how to do it in CMD/Teeminal.

The RAW file is modified in the sense that the edited recipe data is added to the file. But the original image data is not affected because any edits can be reset to the starting point. Files that have been edited in DPP can be opened in Lightroom and the image is original. None of the DPP edits show. Same holds true for JPEG. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Peter
Authority
Authority

About Nikon corruption https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=6a4657a4d4b3ceffb5cbdea55aabafe7&topic=4220.0

and

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/very-different-initial-rendering-of-raw-file-possible-corrupt-file-but-re...

I guess this part from the Rawspeed maintainer includes Canon:

As it has been said, nobody should ever use any program that modifies the original raw files for any reason whatsoever, including “harmless” sidecar embedding.

But I have never ever heard anything about  raw file corruption due to DPP or EOS Utility.

One interesting thing is that DPP4 doesn't support new features, like ALO, in older raw files. So the "embedded sidecar" must be limited to already writable metadata fields for each camera model.

I will not have any access to a computer during a month so I can't analyze the metadata fields myself right now.

Announcements