cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility still not compatible with M1 macs

imjakechapman
Apprentice

For the love of God we're half way through 2022 and EOS Webcam Utility still isn't compatible with M1 macs. Just open source the **bleep** codebase at this point and let the rest of us do it for you. Let me guess, supply chain must be stopping you from recompiling for M1 chips?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

To make matters every worse, I think Apple just recently announced an M2 processor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The M2 is still Apple Silicon, an ARM processor vs the prior Intel processors.  Apple made a DHK (Developer Hardware Kit) available in mid 2020 for companies to be able to re-compile their software prior to the first Apple Silicon Macs hitting the public in Nov 2020. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

When Apple released a development kit is irrelevant, IMHO.  The central issue is licensing your app to run on Apple platforms and be made available in the Apple Store.

Developing the software and licensing the end result to run on the Apple Platform are two entirely different beasts.  The last time I checked, every update from Apple required a new license for your app to run on the updated OS.

Besides, it is not in Apple’s best interests for Canon apps to run on their platforms.  Apple would much rather see users upgrade thier cameras from Apple, in the form of a new iPhone or iPad.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't know of this license you speak of.  End users of all software deal with licenses.  In the case of a user of Canon software running on a Mac, that user would have to agree to both Apple's license agreement (for the OS) and Canon's license agreement.

There's very little cost in being an Apple developer.  It's only $99 per year which allows you to develop an unlimited amount of software for all platforms: macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS and CarPlay.

The $99 per year also need not be perpetual though at some point, the software will become incompatible and will stop working.  e.g. a developer spends $99 in the first year and creates a Mac app.  That app say is able to run unmodified for six years.  So if the developer never renews their developer subscription past the first year, their users would still be able to use the software for around six years (or longer if they don't upgrade their hardware/OS).  Still, it's in the best interest of users for developers to update their software over time.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements