cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to update firmware in EOS R5 to vers. 1.9.0

Falco57
Contributor

I'm trying unsuccessfully to update the firmware of my R5 from 1.8.1 to 1.9.0. Tried both using the EOS Utility and copying the .FIR file to my card directly (formatted first). Either way, the camera sees the EOSR5190.FIR file on the card. When I click "SET", I get to the screen asking to Update Firmware? 1.8.1 -> 1.9.0. At this point, I cannot select "OK"; I can only select "Cancel". Selecting "Cancel" takes me back to the file selection screen, and here I cannot select "Menu" or "Cancel". I have to cancel by clicking the "Menu" button.
Any ideas what the problem is?
Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to select OK using the multi-controller and then press set. Doesn't that work?

No. Tried both the multi-controller and simply touching "OK"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try putting the camera in P mode. Use an SD card freshly formatted in the camera. Re-download the firmware update file from Canon if this does not work.

Already did that.
I've been updating firmware in EOS cameras for 8 yrs. First time I've had a problem.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

How many cards do you have installed in the camera?

Remove the CF Express B card while performing the update.

Use a SD card, format and copy the .fir file to the root of the SD card,

You'll need a battery that has 50% or more charge or an AC adapter.

Now use Bob's suggestion.  Use the Quick Dial to move to OK, then press Set. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Falco57
Contributor

I had tried the Quick Dial and joystick without success. The battery was showing 4 bars when I started, but wasn't fully charged. So fully charged the battery, and update is in progress. Hopefully nothing will go wrong.
Thanks for everyone's help

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

So it was power.  Good.  You've got it now  😄

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thomas83
Contributor

The firmware was offered to me via the "Camera Connect" application on my iPhone.
The update installed successfully via the iPhone (for me).

Canon EOS R5 - EF17/40 RF24/70 EF50 EF100MACRO EF70-200II + EXTENDER

scott4aves
Apprentice

I never thought to use the wheel. It was the toggle that didn't switch me from cancel to ok. The wheel did.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements