cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software for my PowerShot G2

zeref
Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I recently inherited a camera from a friend of my mother. It's a Canon Powershot G2 digital camera, but it doesn't connect with my laptop (which is running Windows 10). When googling I came to know that this camera is over 20 years old and connecting the dots, it's probably not connecting to my laptop because it requires certain software that doesn't run on the newest laptops. By the way, there is no message at all saying that I need new software or anything; it doesn't respond to the cable at all. I don't really know what to do now. Is there I way I can import the photos on this camera to my laptop? Or is there software that I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can certainly remove the memory card and put it in a USB card reader and connect to the computer.

I've had Powershot G1s that have connected to and shown up on Windows 10 computers, no problem.

You don't need any software.  Perhaps the USB port on your camera is bad.

Definitely agree.  The simplest solution is usually the most reliable.  It also means that you are not using the camera battery and the download speed from a card reader should be faster and more reliable.

For that, turn off the camera
Remove the CF card and plug into an appropriate card reader (you can get them fairly cheaply) and they connect via a USB port
The computer should see the card as a drive and from there you can just copy the files to whatever location you choose on your hard disc.

Once that is done, as you are using a Windows 10 computer, remember to use the eject function to remove the card safely. 
To do that RIGHT-Click on the card icon and select Eject.  If it displays a message that you can't do that, it is because some process or function is still using the card and if the card is just removed you can corrupt the card and render it unusable (that's what the Eject command is designed to avoid).  Close any apps that are directing to that and try eject again.

When you removed the card, and returned it to the computer, remember to format the card - don't delete the files - it will eventually create reliability issues if you just use the delete function.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Harold032
Contributor

Canon's proprietary languages are Ultra Fast Renderer 2 (UFR II) and GARO, other common PDL's are PCL (HP) and Postscript (Adobe). Most Canon Multifunctional Printers understand UFR II and PCL straight out of the box. You will normally require a license for Postscript printing.  Emory Patient Portal Login

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you don't have a hard copy of the manual, you should download a PDF of it HERE .

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements