cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 New Firmware 1.8.1

tangogal
Contributor

My Canon R5 has firmware 1.7.1. I got a notice that new software is available but when I put in my Os system (Monterey 12.6.3) it recommended my existing firmware. I see that 1.8.1 is available for download also, although not what was recommended. I am wondering if I download it and install it, will I still be able to shoot in raw? Will I have to use Photo Professional instead o Photoshop for any images taken in the higher resolution format? I am wondering if I really should install this new firmware.How do you instruct the camera to not use the 400 px format and shoot in raw?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

It is a new menu item to enable or disable it

https://cam.start.canon/en/C003/manual/html/UG-03_Shooting-1_0440.html

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Thank you. I see now you can disable it. With all the cautions about putting it on a tripod, not shooting moving images, etc.  I wonder if it's worthwhile to install it unless you are doing still life, studio work or landscapes you wish to blow up very large.  Does the 1.8.1 firmware do anything useful other than this high resolution imaging?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes.  You will still be able to shoot in RAW.  The new FW will add the (Ibis High Resolution) PS option.  See @JohnMoyer's link below.  When enabled the resulting output (file format) is jpeg. You will not lose any function.  Its possible to open these files in another program.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Usefulness depends on the individual.  Some think wow, pretty cool.  Ohers, meh, I won't use it.  Its likely Canon also included some under the hood fixes.  It doesn't hurt to have it and I've not heard anything negative about it impacting functionality.  Turn it on when you want to use it, leave off for normal single shot RAW shooting.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you.

Ive tried all that and it still will not work. Do you have any more suggestions?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements