cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Firmware 1.9 on MAC Sonoma 14.0 Will not open the DMG

chinadad96
Apprentice

I downloaded latest firmware.  I click on the dmg file in downloads and it will not open.  

I checked that hard disk is clicked in the Finder settings. 

on a Mac Studio with Sonoma 14.0 

I do Firmware updates so seldom.  Some silly user error? 

17 REPLIES 17

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Firmware is operating system agnostic.  It's the same file (.FIR) regardless of the download.  Windows or MAC, operating system or version.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sure the firmware may be OS agnostic. That is not the question.  The difficulty is getting the .fir file extracted from the DMG.  The updater itself and how the DMG file was built can be dependent on the OS.  I suspect that is why, after selecting the Sonoma version of MacOS, the Canon support site says: "There is no firmware for the OS you selected."  I am waiting until a proper Sonoma version is released by Canon.   [edit - Is it possible to upload a screen shot of what I see on the Canon support site?]

For a firmware update, that's just a flag on the site. The computer's OS really isn't important. You might also be able to do it via the Camera Connect App. 

And yes, you can upload a screenshot! 😊

I was thinking about this, and I wanted you to see what I see - because I also had to select a different OS manually.

Thanks Stephen,   Sorry to be tardy replying.  I missed the email from the forum saying that you posted.

That is exactly what I saw when I selected Sonoma as my OS:    “There is no firmware for the OS version you selected”

Of course, this note refers to the *updater* not the actual firmware.  As others pointed out, the firmware is not usually OS dependent.   BUT, the DMG container can be.  If the DMG and process don’t depend on the version of the OS, why doesn’t Canon indicate this new version can be used in Sonoma?    I will wait until Canon comes out with an updater DMG that is fully vetted for Sonoma and so avoid the oddities that some are seeing.

Note that a DMG (Disk iMaGe) should be OS independent.  It's the contents (e.g. software) that would have certain OS requirements.

The only time a .dmg would require a new OS to open it would be if the disk image's file format is a newer one.  e.g. APFS which would not open on older operating systems.  Though I think this would be incredibly rare.  Most .dmg files out there seem to be using "Mac OS Extended" instead of APFS.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Stephen

I thought I'd try it on a beta version of Sonoma just to see what would happen, and it was doing the same thing to me. I opened it, and nothing happened. I opened it again. Nothing. I thought - now, that's weird, it looks like it's doing something. Then I remembered the last time I did a firmware update it did the same thing. The Finder window opens UNDER everything else for some reason. I minimized all my other apps, and the zipped file had opened in Finder on the other side of the screen. Maybe yours did, too?

ednet
Apprentice

Downloaded the R5 Firmware ver. 1.9 on my MacBook Pro running Sonoma by selecting the MacOS Ventura option on the Canon website. Could not copy the firmware from the MacBook to the R5 SD card inserted in the MacBook (as I usually do). I tried attaching my CFexpress card reader to the MacBook and was able to copy the Firmware from the MacBook to the R5 CFexpress card and used that to successfully update the R5 camera firmware.

Announcements