cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo editing software recommendations

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

On another thread, it was mentioned about editing photos. My T7 and File Explorer allow some editing but would like to expand the capabilities. Did the usual search and came up with a list from the XX Best Free Editing Software. GIMP was mentioned a few times as the recommended software. Anyone use this? Seemed simple to use and free. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
45 REPLIES 45

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I used to participate in an online forum where any time a raw novice asked about an editing app, the immediate response from many was "PHOTOSHOP, NOTHING ELSE WILL DO!" Also, many also  claimed that you aren't a real photographer unless you use a full-frame camera."

I would either stop reading that "online forum" or stop reading that poster! However, there is no denying LR/PS are the top editors and the industry standard which all others are judged by. Some  folks either can't justify the price or for other reasons choose a different editor. DPP4 is simply one of these choices. There are even more free editors that are very good like Gimp and Darktable.

The FF statement is just too silly to comment on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

grizzlu
Apprentice

If you're still looking for recommendations, GIMP is indeed a popular choice for free and user-friendly editing software. It provides a wide range of editing tools and features that can help enhance your photos.
On the other hand, Canon offers its editing software called Digital Photo Professional (DPP), specifically designed for Canon cameras. It allows you to replicate the camera settings and provides a seamless editing experience.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is an age old discussion now.  Everyone has their preference and workflow.  There are many great free editors available.  While Adobe Lr and Photoshop are widely regarded as industry standards, DxO Photo Lab is the application winning awards year over year.  None of them are perfect and each has its strengths.

If you are using Canon glass, DPP is hard to beat.  Its free and certainly works well with Canon's own hardware.  PS and Lr are great too, but you have to subscribe and the import process isn't as slick as some of the other solutions available.

I ended up going with DxO because I was using 3rd party glass with my DSLR and while I liked DPP, it fell short with images shot with my Sigma lenses.  DxO had the lens support I needed and a host of some very unique features not offered elsewhere.  I also do not care for a subscription and like owning the software.  

In truth Adobe's model isn't so bad.  Its a different kind of revenue stream.  Some months I use editing software 3-4 days a week.  Others I don't.  You can't pause the subscription, so I'm not so keen on that.  Pay as you go isn't practical for a vendor either.  Adobe has an immense amount of resources available for development.  The smaller guys don't, so its amazing that DxO continues to win awards with a footprint only a fraction of the size of Adobe.  

Now that I'm only using Canon glass, DPP is a great asset again, but now I'm hooked on DxO's additional features, Deep Prime noise reduction, etc.  Is it the end all, certainly not, but its nice to have at your disposal.  I find it refined, consistent and predictable.    

I imagine Adobe users feel similarly about PS and Lr.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

John_SD
Whiz

"GIMP was mentioned a few times as the recommended software. Anyone use this?"

I used GIMP briefly several years ago. I found it unwieldy and awkwardly documented. It is a bloated product that attempts to be all things to all people, which wasn't what I was interested in.  If you are interested in open source RAW processing, then I personally believe that Raw Therapee is the far superior choice. If DPP went away, I would be using Raw Therapee. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

For years I resisted the Adobe rental program but when my Dell desktop crashed I could not get Adobe to accept my Photoshop and Lightroom license. Although I had multiple licensees.  I had them when I was in business. Adobe has always been difficult to deal with and that seems to have not changed. I was even a beta tester for Adobe for years.

They sure ain't Canon customer service or support!

Long story but any way I was forced to start the rental program and subscribed to PS/LR 2023. All I can say, it is worth it. I am happy I did. There have been several improvements which work and the updates install with out notice or additional cost. Its $9.99 plus tax. The general update to PS was usually $120 and it was generally each year. So if you did it, its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. 

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  its amazing that DxO continues to win awards ..."

It certainly is. I am way too skeptical of any awards to put any stock in them since you can't trust the awarding committee. Who knows who and who pays who?

There is a reason why almost all and I might even say all professional photographers and photography shops use Photoshop and not any other.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements