cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Observations with macOS 11 (Big Sur)

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

I recently experimented with macOS Big Sur (upgraded from Mojave). Here are some initial observations:

1. Lightroom V6.14 seems to function correctly except for functions which use 32-bit libraries (Impromptu Slideshow, Slideshow Module, see below). Note that Lightroom V6.14 was installed using Mojave (and cannot be directly installed using Catalina or Big Sur).
  2. EOS R5 CR3 RAW images are now supported (in Preview, etc.). These images could not be viewed in earlier versions of the macOS.

Although limited, my experience with Big Sur so far seems positive.

- Pie Lover

Dynamic Link Media Serve failed to launch

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Your Lightroom version seems quite old.  On Big Sur (11.3.x), I am running Lightroom Classic version 10.2 with Camera RAW 13.2

Correct in that any 32-bit software or plugins will not function.  Catalina was the first OS to require software all be 64-bit.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks Ricky. I believe that Lightroom V6.14 is the last perpertual version (i.e. before Adobe switched to a subscription model). 

I noticed that various Lightroom functions have stopped working especially as the OS is upgraded. Fortunately, I mostly use the Library and Develop Modules which continue to function. I switched to Apple's Preview and Photos apps for slideshows.

Below is the system information captured by Lightoom (Big Sur a.k.a Version 10.16).

- Pie Lover

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
License: Perpetual
Language setting: en-CA
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.16.0 [20E241]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 6
Processor speed: 3.0 GHz
Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 331.5 MB (4.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3,146.5 MB
Memory cache size: 12.5MB / 1,856.4MB (0.7%)
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2MB / 4095MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: Intel Inc.
Version: 4.1 INTEL-16.2.16
Renderer: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
LanguageVersion: 4.10

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom
Library Path: ~/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Settings Folder: ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
2) Canon Tether Plugin
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Leica Tether Plugin
6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Audio and Video info: Loading

Note that the term "perpetual" is often misleading.  In this case since all Apple Macs will eventually no longer use Intel and the Rosetta technology (emulation software allowing Intel software on Apple Silicon) will not always be there.

Unless of course Adobe chooses to revamp that version of Lightroom for Apple Silicon.  Highly doubtful, IMO.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@rs-eos wrote:

Note that the term "perpetual" is often misleading.  In this case since all Apple Macs will eventually no longer use Intel and the Rosetta technology (emulation software allowing Intel software on Apple Silicon) will not always be there.

Unless of course Adobe chooses to revamp that version of Lightroom for Apple Silicon.  Highly doubtful, IMO.

I have always felt that perpetual license applied to the OS for which the software was released, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Blueberry_Lover
Enthusiast

I ran into some problems with Big Sur in my environment (see Apple Communities post) and have since reverted back to Catalina (10.15.7). I think I'll wait for a few more Big Sur updates to be issued before trying again.

- Pie Lover

P.S. Lightroom V6.14 seems to me to be more of a perpertual product on Windows when compared to macOS

I'm back using  Big Sur with recently released Version 11.4. My photography workflow (including DPP, LR V6.14) is working well. Also, Big Sur directly supports the EOS R5 CR3 raw format. I haven't tried the Canon's EOS webcam with Big Sur (although it worked well with Catalina).

- Pie Lover

Announcements