cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No thumbnails in Windows 11 file explorer for .CR2 files

ksmichaelsross
Contributor

I have had several Canon EOS bodies and have a collection of images. I shot in RAW, so these are .CR2 files. Several years ago I bought an R5 which creates a .CR3 RAW file. I recently replaced my computer, and while the .CR3 files show thumbnails in Windows File Explorer, none of the.CR2 files do. I've installed all of the software that comes with the R5. I've also installed the Windows apps to show RAW files with no success. The Faststone image viewer displays .CR2 files without any problems, and they work with all of the other viewing and editing software I use.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm running Windows 11. I didn't have this problem with my older Windows 10 computer. It thumbnailed both .CR2 and .CR3 files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi!  I am glad this worked for you.

To help others who may have the same issue when they come to this site, can you please mark the post I made with the solutions as Resolved and it will be identified as such for those who look at a later date.

Thank you for the invitation.  Sadly, I live in New Zealand, which is quite some distance away, and at 72 with a heart condition, I doubt I can get to travel overseas again. Knowing you are sorted is reward enough. 🙂

Happy shooting!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Michael and welcome!

The software for the R5 is not the issue.  It is a codec within Windows 11 that displays thumbnails and has been a known issue.  Have a look at this page from MS and try this solution first:
Microsoft explorer will not show thumbnails of .CR2 files shot on - Microsoft Community
Open Windows File Explorer
Open a folder of Photos
On the View Ribbon (tab) choose small, medium, or large icons in the Layout Section
Then at the end of the View Ribbon (tab) click 'Options'
On that Dialog, click on the View Tab
Uncheck the box marked 'Always show icons, never show thumbnails'
At the top of that tab, click 'Apply to folders' and confirm
Then click Apply and OK

If that does not work, come back to us, or you can contact MS directly.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I did as you suggested. My "Always show icons, never thumbnails" wasn't checked, so I checked it, clicked "Apply to Folders", unchecked it, clicked "Apply to Folders." No joy. Again, I see thumbnails of .JPG files and of the .CR3 files, just not of any .CR2 files.

Best,

Mike

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

In the same link there are other options that require you to clear out the thumbnail cache and let the system rebuild it, along with some others that change the registry.  You could try those in ascending order of complexity.

I am wondering of your version of WIndows 11 and it's update status.  I generally use Windows 11 Pro (although I do have one machine with the Home version) all of them display the thumbnails for Cr2 files and, as I recall, that was the result of a windows software update some time ago.  What is your Windows version and is it current with the latest updates?

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

I have been scratching around for an elusive file that is supposed to offer the codec, and found this - noting the recent date:

Tronhard_0-1729637521900.png

Since it referred to the file in brackets on step 4, I found the file on the Canon Canada website, so I  enclose the link: Canon RAW Codec 1.11.0 (custhelp.com)  I note that the O/S systems listed do not include Win 10 or 11, and I think this was because it was expected to be included in the Win 11 O/S, but this legacy version might run or even in a compatibility mode.

Since my systems don't have the issue, I can't test if for you.

cheers, TREVOR

Trevor,

You are a godsend! The codec solved the problem and I'm back in business. It installed without complaint on my Windows 11 Home computer. I spend the afternoon yesterday (several hours) with a Microsoft Tech controlling my computer and trying various things all to no avail. Curiously, if you opened the files using the Microsoft Raw file viewer app and then checked and unchecked the icons instead of thumbnails box the files you opened showed a thumbnail. So...I have to believe I'm not alone in having this problem, and you've been the most helpful by far.

I will save the codec in a special place in the event I change computers again, and I definitely owe you a huge round of thanks for helping me on this. If you're ever in KC, let me know and I'll treat you to (IMHO) the best BBQ on the planet. 

Hi!  I am glad this worked for you.

To help others who may have the same issue when they come to this site, can you please mark the post I made with the solutions as Resolved and it will be identified as such for those who look at a later date.

Thank you for the invitation.  Sadly, I live in New Zealand, which is quite some distance away, and at 72 with a heart condition, I doubt I can get to travel overseas again. Knowing you are sorted is reward enough. 🙂

Happy shooting!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements