cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac OS X 10.8 can't install Solutions Software

stuartworley
Apprentice

I can't get the Solutions CD to install/update the Canon software on my Macbook Pro. 

Running 10.8.3

I have DPP 3.11 installed. 

Also tried downloading updaters from Canon web, but these don't work either. 

Turned off 10.8 Gatekeeper security. Still no joy. 

What gives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

stuartworley
Apprentice

Well, I solved it myself. I saw a similar post somewhere about logging in as a different user and installing from that account. Amazingly, that worked. 

I installed a couple of the apps from the CD from my wife's account and everything went well. I went back to my account to install the rest of the CD and still no dice!

So, back to my wife's account to complete the install. I haven't tried installing any updates from the Canon support site. 

So, Canon Support, I hope this give you some hint of what is going on with your installer. I can't believe that I am the only person who has had this issue. 

Stuart

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

@sundowner: you ever get an answer to this? on mac os 10.7.5, having same exact issue. tried creating new admin acct. no dice. really super annoying.

Never did get an answer.Smiley Sad

Here's a thing though. The other night, my daughter cam eover with her new Mac book, and the programmes loaded up fine. I created another admin account on my Mac, put the discs in again, and they installed. I'd changed no other settings on the Mac. Weird, but thanks for nothing Canon.

thx for response, sd14 --

i noticed there's a new image browser ex 1.1.0 for mac posted 8/1/13. tried downloading and installing that...bingo! it worked! once i got that loaded, i was able to run/install digital photo professional 3.13.3 updater for mac. 

Glad to hear that t_g. Maybe Canon were working in the background, but some comms would have been good.

Happy image processing.

I have upgraded to ML 10.8.4.  DPP opens but behaves strangely - cropping doesn't work, the grid disappears when I use the rotate tool, the palette disappears etc etc. I have upgraded to DPP 3.13.0, but there is no improvement.  MacPro 12 Core 2.93GHz/ 16GB RAM.  Any suggestions anyone?

stuartworley
Apprentice

Well, I solved it myself. I saw a similar post somewhere about logging in as a different user and installing from that account. Amazingly, that worked. 

I installed a couple of the apps from the CD from my wife's account and everything went well. I went back to my account to install the rest of the CD and still no dice!

So, back to my wife's account to complete the install. I haven't tried installing any updates from the Canon support site. 

So, Canon Support, I hope this give you some hint of what is going on with your installer. I can't believe that I am the only person who has had this issue. 

Stuart

You're not the only person! - Happened to me, found your post , created a new user, logged in and it installed no problem! - Many thanks.

mfleck
Apprentice

I am having similar problem. Recently went from pc to mac- running os x 10.8 - the latest. anyway, i have my install cd of the EOS digital solutions disk. i installed it and was using it when i realized that i no longer have the ability to straighten my pics. i checked and see that i am running the OLD version- what was on the cd. Version 3.4. found the download from canon's website for the latest version. i have downloaded it. however, when i click to update it - by clicking on the update checker -i get the following message.'

AUTO UPDATE SERVICE

Cannot start this software directly.

please note the software does run- the 3.4 version. meanwhile it's up to 3.12. i have looked at the choices under file, etc while im in the program - for an update button. (you know how most software programs have that feature) anyway, i can't find it.

i've done what people have suggested- uninstalliing- reinstalling from another user with admin privileges. etc etc. no success. 

any ideas??

ok people. i'm replying to my own post. i kept searching and i found this link in which there is the eos digital solution disk version 28.2a - keep in mind i had 18.1. anyway- it stated that this was for people that cannot use the bundled cd. it does require a serial number for the download. i found on the bottom of my camera. it worked. so here's the link:http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_re...

i downloaded and it's working. i know have dpp 3.13.20.

everything appears to be working YAY!!!

I have the same version from the same source, and it still doesn't work!

Announcements