cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is EOS Utility 3 Liveview broken?

hapa17
Apprentice

Like many other threads on here, I was using Liveview in EOS Utility 3 on Mac with no problems up to Sonoma. But since Sonoma released, I have experienced intermittent problems getting EU3 to see my M50 mk.II connected via Elgato CamLink. However, if I restarted the camera or the software or the computer enough, it would eventually connect. Now, it seems like the most recent Sonoma update 14.4 has broken all the workarounds from achieving a connection.

No matter how many times I restart the software, the camera, or the computer, EU3 does not see my camera connected. I've tried quitting every app and disabling all the startup items, restarting multiple times to no avail. I implemented the legacy video adjustment months ago.

Similar to other threads I've read, a video feed is actually detected by Zoom, Facetime, Photo Booth, etc. All I really want EU3 for is Liveview so I can make exposure adjustments via ISO on the fly when I use my camera as a webcam. I've even tried downloading a free trial to DSLR Assistant, but it doesn't detect the camera either. And I'm not blowing $150 to see if Kuuvik Capture works. 

Piecing together information from multiple threads on this forum and around the internet, I get the feeling we're all waiting on Canon to produce a EU3 update that is compatible with Sonoma.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else found a workaround that gets Liveview to work on Sonoma 14.4? Or am I out of luck until a Canon releases update, which is already several months overdue? 

Alternatively, is there another way to adjust ISO hands-free while connected to a Mac and streaming? It doesn't seem like I can connect to my camera with the Canon iPhone app when it's connected to a computer and in video mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hapa17
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, John! Seeing as you're able to use Live View, it got me thinking about my dongle/hub situation. I've been using an Aukey one that I believe my job provided that had worked fine in this setup before. I happen to have an Anker one laying around, so I tried that, and wouldn't you know it, Live View worked.

It figures — every one of these hubs/dongles seems to behave differently under different conditions. 

IMG_5111.jpgIMG_5113.jpgIMG_5110.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@hapa17 wrote:

Like many other threads on here, I was using Liveview in EOS Utility 3 on Mac with no problems up to Sonoma. But since Sonoma released, I have experienced intermittent problems getting EU3 to see my M50 mk.II connected via Elgato CamLink. However, if I restarted the camera or the software or the computer enough, it would eventually connect. Now, it seems like the most recent Sonoma update 14.4 has broken all the workarounds from achieving a connection.

No matter how many times I restart the software, the camera, or the computer, EU3 does not see my camera connected. I've tried quitting every app and disabling all the startup items, restarting multiple times to no avail. I implemented the legacy video adjustment months ago.

Similar to other threads I've read, a video feed is actually detected by Zoom, Facetime, Photo Booth, etc. All I really want EU3 for is Liveview so I can make exposure adjustments via ISO on the fly when I use my camera as a webcam. I've even tried downloading a free trial to DSLR Assistant, but it doesn't detect the camera either. And I'm not blowing $150 to see if Kuuvik Capture works. 

Piecing together information from multiple threads on this forum and around the internet, I get the feeling we're all waiting on Canon to produce a EU3 update that is compatible with Sonoma.

I guess what I'm asking is has anyone else found a workaround that gets Liveview to work on Sonoma 14.4? Or am I out of luck until a Canon releases update, which is already several months overdue? 

Alternatively, is there another way to adjust ISO hands-free while connected to a Mac and streaming? It doesn't seem like I can connect to my camera with the Canon iPhone app when it's connected to a computer and in video mode.

Live View works  with EOSU3 and macOS  14.4. But I am not using auxiliary software, just EOSU3.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 5.15.15 PM.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

hapa17
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, John! Seeing as you're able to use Live View, it got me thinking about my dongle/hub situation. I've been using an Aukey one that I believe my job provided that had worked fine in this setup before. I happen to have an Anker one laying around, so I tried that, and wouldn't you know it, Live View worked.

It figures — every one of these hubs/dongles seems to behave differently under different conditions. 

IMG_5111.jpgIMG_5113.jpgIMG_5110.jpg

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements