cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Transfer Utility 2 won't run on my PC - Windows 10

Max3732
Contributor

I had Image Transfer Utility 2 installed on my PC and I think it stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10. It used to start when I started up my PC, but then it gave an error that it crashed and wouldn't load again.

Today I tried reinstalling it but have the same issue. How can I get it to work? Is there an update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Will this work?

Image Transfer Utility 2.2.10 for Windows (my.canon)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you take a deep dive into the fine print of system requirements and prerequisites, you will see that Windows Platforms with upgraded Operating Systems are not supported.  Only native installs are supported.

[EDIT] If you were running an application that did not interact with the hardware 

You can find the system prerequisites on the download page for the applications.  

Windows 10 motherboards have a very different hardware architecture compared to motherboards designed for earlier versions of Windows.  This is THE prime reason why you cannot migrate applications from Windows 8 to Windows 10. 

[EDIT] If you were running an application that did not directly interact with the motherboard hardware, then “transporting” and rewriting legacy applications to Windows 10 was not a major issue.  The MS Office apps are a perfect example.  Yes, they can use a printer port, but they can use “system printers.”  Office apps are not written for specific hardware devices.

Unfortunately, nearly all of the Canon applications interact with the hardware on the the most basic level, which means the Windows 10 apps are looking for Windows 10 hardware.

OS upgrades are merely a paint job.  You are still running the original OS under the hood because you are still running on the same hardware.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

If that's the case how do I install it on Windows 10? Is there a new version of the software?

@Max3732 wrote:

If that's the case how do I install it on Windows 10? Is there a new version of the software?

Windows 10 will not install on the machines with the old hardware architecture.  Windows 10 was released in 2015.  If you wish to use it, upgrade your PC.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Huh?

Did you not read or understand my question? I have Windows 10 installed and couldn't get Image Transfer Utility 2 to work on my PC.

Rather than help you first gave a rambling answer about why old software wouldn't work on Windows 10 and then a nonsensical answer about installing Windows 10 on an old machine (which I already did and it runs great) instead of giving any information about what I was asking. Is there a newer version of the software that runs on Windows 10?

Jrhoffman75 was able to find a link to this software and it worked. Are you trying to help or just write a lot of gibberish?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Will this work?

Image Transfer Utility 2.2.10 for Windows (my.canon)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes! Thank you so much. It makes it so much easier to use this utility than plug the camera in or look for a memory card reader. I really appreciate it! 😀

Announcements