cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with PSE 2021

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had posted this a while back and couldn't find it. I searched and came up with zero. Trying again so bear with me. I have looked in my PSE 2021 For Dummies and can't find anything on how to cut and paste a photo. I like to take bird photos in my backyard but houses, fences, etc. spoil it. Am I looking for other terminology that relates to my question? Thanks. BTW, I also have DPP4.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
11 REPLIES 11

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I want to remove a small portion of a photo and "paste" on a more appropriate background."

Once you make your selection of a squirrel, or whatever, you can paste it in a new photo or again anywhere you want it. However, keep in mind the busier the BG the more difficult the selection can be.

Now you want to paste it on to a new layer so it can be edited independently afterwards. 

The girl is on one layer and the smiley is on another. They are completely separate form one and the other. I can move it or delete it or any edit without effecting the girl or BG.

girl smiley.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rs-eos
Elite

Keep in mind that copying part of an image and pasting it onto another (effectively changing the background) can be quite difficult.   Some challenges are:

• Do the two images have the same lighting? Shadow direction, time of day, full sun vs. cloudy.  If the two images you'll be working with don't match in those regards, it will probably become obvious that they are made from two separate images.
  • Depth of field.  When you paste your subject onto the new background, you'll want to consider depth of field.  i.e. place the subject at point that would blend in with in-focused areas and not paste it in the middle of a completely out-of-focus area.
  • Color matching (basically driven by the first point above), but you'll probably want to look at ensuring both images have similar color grading.  e.g. if one is too warm and the other is too cool (color temp wise), they won't match up well.
--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
click here to view the gallery
Announcements