cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos utility for R7 on Windows 10?

Fleshbits
Contributor

Just got my first camera, took some pictures, and now trying to figure out the ways to get them to my computer. Manual describes EOS utility and connection to my existing wi-fi. My computer does not have a wi-fi card, but is hard wired into my home network. So, I successfully set up the camera to talk to my wi-fi. I go to download the eos utility and it is not listed under driver/downloads->software for windows 10 on the R7 page. Where is it?

Fleshbits_0-1656770021936.png

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Wi-Fi is more for remote shooting than downloading multiple images.

Have you tried connecting a USB cable?  Have you tried removing the memory card and using a card reader?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ya, I can do it via usb cable, but I figure wifi downloads would be more convenient and wear out the usb port less.

Greetings,

Connecting to your camera's USB port won't hurt or damage it if done with care.  I've connected my 6D2 more times than I can count.  The key is not to allow put force or strain on the port.  The R7 doesn't have a cable protector, so just be careful and you won't have any problems.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

EOS Utility 3.15.10 for Windows

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Fleshbits
Contributor

Running that software results in an error "camera not recognized", so I am going to guess they haven't gotten around to actually supporting the R7 in their software.

The update notes and the manual both state R7 supported. Is Wi-Fi turned off on your camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The camera sees the wifi and the wifi sees the camera. It is a connected devices according to my router.
Futhermore, the EOS software wouidn't report unsupported camera, If it didnt see a camera. It as available to choose from a list, and then software errors out when chosen.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you simply want to download images to the computer, you don't need the EOS utility. 

Just turn the camera off
Remove the card with the images you want to transfer
Put it into a SD card reader, either built in to your computer, or via a USB reader
When you do so the computer should see the card as a new drive.
Just select your images and copy them across to a folder on your computer and you're sorted!

This is simple, reliable, doesn't drain your camera battery and doesn't require software that you need to install.

When you have copied your files and confirmed that they are on your computer, put the card back in the camera and then format the card(s) there.  Don't just delete files - this can cause file fragmentation on the card and corrupt it.  Formatting the cards cleans them properly.  Recommend you do this each time so you are not embarrassed to discover your cards got filled up in the middle of a shoot.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

This is a workaround. I am able to get my pictures, and I appreciate that, but I'd still like a working version of the software, so I can explore all features my camera is supposed to provide.

Announcements