cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam Utility 1.0 macOS keeps disconnecting

neotaruntius
Apprentice

I'm using the Canon T5i Webcam utility on my Macbook Pro using Catalina. 

I've found that the software has two issues that keep cropping up for me - 

When I connect the camera to the macbook and try connecting to the camera as a webcam, I keep getting the splash screen that means "Please check your USB cable" over and over. To fix it, I have to power off and on the camera until I hear the "shutter click" sound which means the camera is being properly registered. Once this happens, the camera works spectacularly. 

However, after a random amount of time, the camera disconnects again (shutter click sound), and the app that I'm using (zoom etc) start showing the splash screen for "check your USB cable" again.

As a result, the webcam utility is pretty unstable for professional settings where camera either doesn't connect to begin with or keeps disconnecting. 

I have tried multiple USB cables and USB ports. I have tried both short 8" and long 2' cables. 

Has anyone else had the same issue? Any recommendations on fixing it?

Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Lextatic
Apprentice

I'm having a similar problem and it started out of the blue. From one day to another the camera started to disconnect/reconnect with the shutter sound from time to time. The intervals between disconnections keep getting lower and lower until it's just to distracting and counterproductive. If I let the camera rest for a while the time between disconnections increases again, but soon come back shorter and shorter.

It looks like it's something related with overheating, but I didn't have any problem the day before when I used it for very long hours.

I'm on Windows 10, EOS Webcam Utility 1.1, Canon EOS Rebel T5i with driver 1.15.

My problem was related to the power adapter I was using. Bought a new USB power adapter and everything is alright now.

amacgeek
Apprentice

Experiencing the same issue.

No matter the configuration is employed for a video call where I want to rely on the EOS Webcam Utilitty, I have never been 100% confident it will work without a problem.

There have been three consistent things about this issue:

It happens regardless whether I'm using a T3i or T7i (both are compatible cameras).

It happens across devices -- I originally had an iMac Pro. I now sport an M1 MacBook Pro.

The reset time is random and inconsistent -- there have been times where I can go a couple of hours without a hitch. Other times it resets every twenty minutes or so.

I have never felt confident that I'm going to make it through an hour/hour-and-a-half presentation, or recording, without the connction resetting. The issue is unsettling, nerve racking, frustrating and makes me look unprofessional. Having the connection reset in the middle of a recording, presentation, or Zoom call is as unsettling as driving on 10% battery looking for a charging station.

I need a dependable video input solution for Zoom meetings with potential clients, as an evangalist for a major WordPress page builder, and to produce video content for my own business. I was hoping this would be resolved when the dot zero version of the app launched and the cameras I have became officially supported. But we are over a year from that date and the issue persists. At this point I am ready to pull the trigger on replacing the two cameras I have in favor of a brand affords me a stable video input beit over USB or HDMI. The Blackmagic I/O converter is sitting patiently in my cabinet.

Julius

Julius Lopez

Trivessa

https://www.trivessa.com

amacgeek
Apprentice
I’ll add that doc S&Gs I purchased a Canon USB cable as well as a model specific Canon power adapter after already owning a TetherTools Power adapter and model specific battery adapters for both the T7i and T3i.

The issue persists regardless of power adapter. And USB is USB unless the manufacturer is creating their own proprietary internal wiring spec.
Announcements