cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not connecting to camera when using extension cable

IR
Apprentice

Hi! I have a problem getting EOS Utility to connect with the camera when using an extension cable. I have a Canon R7 which i connected to the PC using a cable. I use the TetherPro USB-C to USB-C and the TetherBoost Pro USB-C Core Controller Extension Cable. When the camera is connected just with the TetherPro USB-C to USB-C EOS Utility work fine, the program connects and turns automatically when the camera is turned on and the program works as it should. When using the TetherBoost Pro USB-C Core Controller Extension Cable as well, EOS Utility don't recognize the camera, no connection is found and the the program just shuts down. The camera and the computer have connection, its just when trying to use EOS Utility there isn't any connection. It's a windows 11 computer, that is not connected to WiFi

I have tried to make sure Utility dosn't autolaunch when turning on the camera, and opened the program through this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3\EOS Utilities 3.exe to see if that helped, but it still wouldn't connect. I have also restarted the computer several times, but with no luck. 

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

6 REPLIES 6

ktmillerphoto
Apprentice

Interesting. I'm also having problems getting EOS utility 3 to work while tethered. I use the regular tether cord and it only works if my camera is on, plugged in, and I restart the computer.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ When the camera is connected just with the TetherPro USB-C to USB-C EOS Utility work fine, the program connects and turns automatically when the camera is turned on and the program works as it should.

When using the TetherBoost Pro USB-C Core Controller Extension Cable as well, EOS Utility don't recognize the camera, no connection is found and the the program just shuts down. “

It sounds like there is probably an issue with the extension accessory.  Have you asked the manufacturer about this issue.  Canon did not manufacture the cable.  It is impossible for Canon to guarantee every third party accessory will work with their equipment.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank for the answer 🙂
No, I haven't asked the manufacturer yet, I will do so. I tried two different cables to check if there where something wrong with them but it's the same problem with both extension cables. There is a connection to the computer with both extension cable, just not to EOS Utility. 

“ There is a connection to the computer with both extension cable, just not to EOS Utility. “

What exactly does that mean?  The camera has only one USB port.  It is inadvisable to connect multiple cables at the same time, such as USB and HDMI.

You are not alone in reporting issues with some TetherTools products.  If you have other products that are connected to AC power sources, then ground loops could develop.  

Every scenario and setup is different.  The facts speak for themselves.  It works without it.  It does not work with it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I meant that I have two different extension cables that I have tried separately to connect the camera to Utility but with to luck with either of them. 

I believe the boost cable needs to be connected a certain way. There is a computer icon on one of the plugs. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements