cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility for Canon 5D Mark ii

crsnydertx
Apprentice

Hello.  I just purchased a used Canon 5D Mark ii.  I've been unable to find a version of the Canon EOS Utility that will work with this camera.  I have both OS for Mac (Big Sur) and Windows 11 computers available to me.  Any thoughts on how to get the utility to work for this oldie but goodie?  Would like to update copyright info and, if possible, download images from camera to computer.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

Chuck

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You can enter or change copyright info from the menu system.  It is like typing on a Blackberry, which is slow on a camera screen.  No touch typing.  Sorry.

You can visit the Canon Support page for your camera model.  From there you can download apps, manuals, firmware, and stuff.  You select what OS you have a download the software for your OS.

When you buy a used camera it is a good idea to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Return all of the settings to known state, so that you do not get surprise behaviors due settings and programming from the previous owner.

Set the camera shooting mode dial to P.  Look for the selection that resets the camera to factory default settings.  It is probably under a gold wrench menu.

But, there are a few things that the master reset function does not clear out.  One example is custom control button programming.  Go through all of the menus selections, one by one.  Any menu settings that opens up to a sub-menu probably has its own separate reset that you need to use to clear everything back to factory defaults.

Congratulations on the new camera..  Enjoy it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it appears that the copyright info on the 5dii is only accessible via the EOS utility - unlike the 7D, which has the ability to update within the menu system. Maybe I can find an old computer that still supports the utility. Not the biggest priority going - have EXIF editor available. I guess I shouldn’t expect ongoing support for a 14 year old camera !

crsnydertx
Apprentice

And some good news. I fired up an old 32-bit iMac and ELS Utility 2.14 runs great! Problem solved. 

Obviously, EOS utility, not ELS.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You don't need EOSU to u/l images to a WIndows computer. A USB and File Explorer will do it. Don't know whether it works on a Mac? But I would think some older Mac OS should work.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements