cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility & Focus Peaking

Jeff_Melone
Apprentice

Is there a way to enable focus peaking when using live view in the EOS utility?  I'm using a 42" display to help my 70 year old eyesight when focus stacking @ 5x (MP-E65).  Unfortunately I only have a manual focusing rail and using rear screen on the 90D just isn't cutting it.  I know I can zoom the rear screen but I'm trying to minimize any other physical contact with the setup (other than the focusing rail adjustment knob) to minimize all sources of vibration.  I thought the live view in the EOS utility was simply a replication of the camera rear screen.  

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

No focus peaking, but you can enlarge the view to aid focus.

Screenshot 2023-01-16 191419.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 v2 lens and the single step buttons in EOS utility don't work. I hear the motor and see the image shake like its trying but it just slips 99% of the time. The << >>  and <<< >>> buttons work fine, so does auto focus. Is there any way to change the number of stepper motor steps the < > buttons in EOS Utility tell the camera to move? The manual focus adjustment on this lens is awful. I'm resorting to using a lab jack to move my subject (coins) up and down for fine tuning focus, but I'd rather take a series of photos and do focus stacking. Any suggestions for free focus stacking software would be useful too. Thanks. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How are you connecting to the monitor?

I recommend using remote shooting, which means controlling the camera from your computer.  You can use the free Canon DPP4 app or use the EOS Utility directly.  The connection to the camera is via USB.  You can use whatever monitor you wish connected to your computer.  You can even magnify the images as suggested by John Hoffman above.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm using a USB connection. I just discovered right clicking << and >> moves the focus half as much as left clicking, thanks for that. 

I had tried a program called digicamcontrol in the past that lets you set a max and min focus distance and number of shots and then it automatically stepped through the focus distances so I didn't have to manually take each photo, is there some way to do this with DPP4 or EOS Utility? digicamcontrol only sends single step commands to the camera, which with my lens don't work. I don't think its a problem with my lens because I had tried a V1 Tamron lens and it did the same thing, but I did buy both used so maybe their stepper motors just degrade quickly. 

Announcements