cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 "I was thinking I need to have an SD card set aside JUST for firmware updates?"

LoveWeims
Apprentice

EOS R7 purchased July 2024

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

Stephen

Not at all. You may even be able to do firmware updates via the app. That's how I've been doing mine. 

i had to use the one SD Card in my camera and had to reformat it (losing all my practice images, which was ok).  So are you saying once i have a formatted sd card, i can add the firmware to it and not lose my images?

yes sir!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You do not need to have a dedicated card which is only used for firmware updates.  Just use one of the cards you routinely shoot with.  Its not a good idea to use an SD card for image storage.  Short term until you can back up the files is fine, but not for any extended period.    When you're done, format again and the card is ready to go.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

this. SD cards love to fail on you at the exact wrong time. Keep your stuff backed up on a computer and in the cloud somewhere you trust!

click here to view the gallery
Announcements