cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital photo professional 4 freezing every 1-3 seconds for 1-3 second

Apod
Contributor

Ive installed and reinsatalled. The curser turns into a turning wheel and freezes for a few second, every few seconds. I cant get anything done with it freezing like this. Using windows 10 with a recent computer build that should be more than enough to handle the editing demans.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Apod wrote:

Ive installed and reinsatalled. The curser turns into a turning wheel and freezes for a few second, every few seconds. I cant get anything done with it freezing like this. Using windows 10 with a recent computer build that should be more than enough to handle the editing demans.

Greetings,

Sorry to hear about your issue.  "DPP freezing every few seconds"...  Not aware of any reports from others (currently).  I am not disputing the capability of your recent build, but there is obviously something in your environment. causing the behavior.

DPP, what version?

Windows, what build (1903, 1909, 2004)?

Tell us about your hardware, motherboard, processor, amount of installed memory, etc?

What video card? (and (drivers)?

Are your files stored locally, or on external storage or network?

What troubleshooting steps have you performed?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ive uninstalled reinstalled digital photo professional. Updated drivers. Restarted the computer. I'm storing the images on a solid state drive internally.

my comp build is as follows
1. Intel i7 (i7-8700k,LGA1151) processor
2. AORUS Z390 pro wifi gaming motherboard
3. MSI GEFORCE RTX 2060 GDDR6 8gbt video card
4. Noctua NH-U12A 120mm CPU cooler
5. Game Max 80+ Gold 850w power supply
6. Samsung Evo 860 SSd 1TB hard drive
7. corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32GB DDR4 3200 RAM

@Apod wrote:

I had this problem several years back. It turned out to be a program I was using called Picasa updating it's image library by accessing my working folder, so DPP would wait for Picasa to finish before it would continue. I caught it by watching task manager. I unistalled it and things went back to normal. IIRC, my interval was a bit longer than yours, but it was like clockwork.

Picasa, a google product, is no longer avaialable or supported, but I suspect you might have a similar problem. Watch Task manager, or some other monitoring type tool, and see what goes on during the freeze.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

ok. I looked at task manager. Nothing stuck out. I dont use that program you did. But I decided to shut off my image back up software Carbonite as its always running in the background. That seems to have fixed it. no freezing.

Thanks for the input.

@Apod wrote:

ok. I looked at task manager. Nothing stuck out. I dont use that program you did. But I decided to shut off my image back up software Carbonite as its always running in the background. That seems to have fixed it. no freezing.

Thanks for the input.

You are welcome and I'm glad it helped. Hopefully, you are able to get Carbonite scheduled so it won't bother you when editing with DPP.

FD

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.
Announcements