cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Pro (DPP) suggestion for Canon

schuey8413
Contributor

What is the best way to ask Canon to add a feature to its DPP software?  I have a R6 MKII and I know I can save individual images takin in RAW burst mode to a RAW format within the camera, but it would be nice if I could do the same in DPP.  Whether it be in a CR3 or DNG format does not matter.  Saving it as a TIF takes up too much room as well as adds an additional format to my flow and JPG is not what I am looking for. 

Cheers

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Go to the main usa.canon.com web page and in the upper right, or at the bottom next to the copyright notice, click on “[+] Feedback”.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@schuey8413 wrote:

What is the best way to ask Canon to add a feature to its DPP software?  I have a R6 MKII and I know I can save individual images takin in RAW burst mode to a RAW format within the camera, but it would be nice if I could do the same in DPP.  Whether it be in a CR3 or DNG format does not matter.  Saving it as a TIF takes up too much room as well as adds an additional format to my flow and JPG is not what I am looking for. 

Cheers

Ricky has the solution for submitting feature requests, but DPP 4 will already save individual frames to CR3. The problem with DPP, and I have submitted this request myself, is it makes it time consuming to pick and choose which frames you want to extract as individuals. It forces you to select a "Range". So if you want frame 3, frame 5, frame 10, etc., you have to set your range to one image, then repeat for the others you want to extract. Furthermore, if you do select a range, it throws them into yet another Roll.

I couldn't remember what the format options were, it's been quite a while since I messed with it. So I just did a quick test with my wife's R6 II and the only export option I get is CR3. BTW, I am using DPP 4 ver 4.18.10.0.

R6II Raw Burst Test-1a.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

schuey8413
Contributor

You are correct that is saves it as a CR3 extension.  For some reason I am unable to open the file in On1 Photo RAW 2024.  If you use lightroom to process your photos, could you please see if it will open a file from the burst.  I am thinking it might work as I can convert the file using the adobe DNG converter tool then open it in On1.  I appreciate any and all assistance.

Cheers

@schuey8413 wrote:

You are correct that is saves it as a CR3 extension.  For some reason I am unable to open the file in On1 Photo RAW 2024.  If you use lightroom to process your photos, could you please see if it will open a file from the burst.  I am thinking it might work as I can convert the file using the adobe DNG converter tool then open it in On1.  I appreciate any and all assistance.

Cheers

The only Adobe product I have is Adobe DNG Converter, and like you've found, it will convert an extracted CR3 to DNG. I do have PaintShop Pro Ultimate (2023), and it will open an extracted CR3. I have a couple of other Raw editors, and they won't open an extracted CR3. I'm not sure what's going on with that. Most of the edits I do to my Raw files are pretty basic (I use a light touch), so DPP is all I need.

EDITED: Changed and to an.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

For those wondering what the OP and I are talking about, at this time, some Raw editors have problems with CR3 files extracted from a roll. They will open a normal CR3, just not one that's been "extracted". I'm not sure why this is, but I can say that when you use this setting on the R6 mark II, it disables several settings (grayed out in menus) and forces electronic shutter, although I don't see the latter as the issue, it's just an example of what the camera does when set to "Raw burst mode".

Newton

schuey8413
Contributor

I appreciate you taking the time to verify and respond.

Announcements