cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP vs EOS Utility

00derek
Contributor

I want to shoot tethered when my MkIV is on the back of my telescope.

I figured out how to use Utility 3 for tethered shooting; is that the best way?

I read here someone says I should be using DPP; but to see Live View it opens up the same 2 windows that Utility opens - so whatt's the benefit of starting with DPP? It just seems to slow things down - literally, it takes longer for the camera to shoot whn I press the shutter button when DPP is open.

Also, can the shooting controls be merged into the same window as Live View? There's a blank space on the Live View window just big enough for the shooting controls panle - why do they have to be in separate panels!!?

You wonder sometimes if the people who make this software have a clue what photographers need

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is it slower using DPP?  Where are you storing the image files?  In the camera, or on the computer?  

When DPP4 was first introduced, I recall that the option to save to the computer using the EOS Utlity 3 had been removed and relocated to the Remote Shooting feature in DPP4.  There was a lot of customer outcry as a result of this change.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@00derek wrote:

I want to shoot tethered when my MkIV is on the back of my telescope.

I figured out how to use Utility 3 for tethered shooting; is that the best way?

I read here someone says I should be using DPP; but to see Live View it opens up the same 2 windows that Utility opens - so whatt's the benefit of starting with DPP? It just seems to slow things down - literally, it takes longer for the camera to shoot whn I press the shutter button when DPP is open.

Also, can the shooting controls be merged into the same window as Live View? There's a blank space on the Live View window just big enough for the shooting controls panle - why do they have to be in separate panels!!?

You wonder sometimes if the people who make this software have a clue what photographers need

When you select Remote Shooting in DPP it opens EOSU. If you tether that way you will see the image you captured in DPP.

If you start EOSU directly and have linked DPP to EOSU then DPP will start up when the first image is captured.

You can also link a third party software other ghan DPP, or no software, in which cas eth eimage is just filed on the computer and you won't be previewing it.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 200740.jpg

If you haven't downloaded them yet, the DPP and EOSU manuals are available on the Canon supportt site.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks all.

I like using just EOS Utility - you can still save images on computer and browse to them to view them.

Using DPP to browse/view consumes computer resources and definitely slows things down; the time between button press and shutter open is longer when DPP is open.

DPP might be a benefit when time is less critical, but when doing astrophotograpy believe it or not sometimes you are working against the clock, or the clouds.

cheers

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements