cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP saturation adjustment, what does it do?

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

It has been many decades since I studied color spaces. I have forgotten much. Thanks in Advance.

In DPP, it seems that the saturation slider in the "basic image adjustment" does something different than the saturation slider in "Adjust image colors". Is this simply because one is working in RGB color space while the other is working in HSL color space?

Is moving the saturation slider in "Adjust image colors" the same as moving each of the individual saturation sliders by the same amount?

Other software has a "vibrance" slider. Is this the equivalent of moving the saturation slider in "Adjust image colors" but not the saturation slider in "basic image adjustment"?

John

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi John,

Start here:

Canon : Product Manual : Digital Photo Professional (start.canon)

Saturation vs. Vibrance

Saturation intensifies all the colors in your images. Vibrance is more specific and its effect is focused on the mid-tones of an image.  Mid tones are whats between the darkest and lightest areas in an image. (shadows vs highlights)  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. I have looked at the manual.

If the DPP basic saturation slider were operating in the RGB cube color space and if the DPP adjust image colors saturation slider were operating in the HSL color space, then so far as I can remember a straight line through one color space would not pass through the same points as a straight line through the other color space. Is that correct?

On a discussion by GMIC developers, vibrance was compared to something similar to:

/opt/local/bin/gmic input IMG_3355cs.TIF keep[0] normalize 0,255 srgb2rgb rgb2hsv sh 1 mul. 1.10 rm. hsv2rgb rgb2srgb normalize[-1] 0,65535 output[-1] IMG_3355csv.tiff,uint16,lzw,0,1 ; echo "Vibrance"

And the GMIC command line above does seem to me to increase saturation more like the "adjust image colors" saturation slider in DPP than like the basic saturation slider even though GMIC is using yet a third color space and the multiply will choose points on a straight line through the color space.

Yet another approach in DPP is to follow the "tone curves adjustments" example in the DPP manual which is labeled "Sharpens the image". This is easily applied to mostly mid-tones. My guess is that this results in a curved path through one of the color models and not a straight line.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/
Announcements