cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP failed to start Photoshop

robertmscott49
Apprentice

I am running DPP v4.7.21.0 on Windows 10.  I also run Photoshop Elements 2019.  I have imported RAW images to DPP but when I try the Transfer to Photoshop menu item in DPP I get an error message 'Failed to start Photoshop'.   Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

CCB369ED-C48B-4470-9C00-C06321B4CAF3.png

Photoshop Elements is not the same as Photoshop. The DPP transfer to Photoshop function does not work with Elements. 

You can can use the Batch Transfer function and select Elements as the target. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Try a repair install of Photoshop Elements.  Sounds like DPP doesn't think its installed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi there.  Thanks for the advice.  How do I do the repair install?

Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs and Features

Select Adobe Photoshop Elements in the list

Then change or repair (near top of applet).

If these options are not present, uninstall, restart the machine and reinstalll the program.  Make sure you have the installer, or media and the products serial number if a uninstall and reinstall is required.

Now retest opening PSE from DPP.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

CCB369ED-C48B-4470-9C00-C06321B4CAF3.png

Photoshop Elements is not the same as Photoshop. The DPP transfer to Photoshop function does not work with Elements. 

You can can use the Batch Transfer function and select Elements as the target. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Why not just start in PSE?  DPP doesn't know what PSE is, it knows Photoshop.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Why not just start in PSE?  DPP doesn't know what PSE is, it knows Photoshop.

Because PSE comes with a crippled version of Adobe Camera Raw.  No lens correction.  All it does is convert file formats.   Since Adobe began their subscription model PSE was crippled and has become a total waste of money.  GIMP is more capable than PSE.  I would not recommend PSE to anyone.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I would not recommend PSE to anyone."

That's fine but it is just your opinion for whatever you think its worth.  I do recommend PSE as it is the best amateur editor available. Lens correction may be a deal breaker for a pro or advanced amateur but not for the vast majority of people. As a complete post editor DPP is not ready for prime time. Canon seems satified to keep it at that level.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I would not recommend PSE to anyone."

As a complete post editor DPP is not ready for prime time. Canon seems satified to keep it at that level.

Obviously, you have not used PSE since Adobe began the subscription business model.  They crippled it.  Removed features.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I don’t dispute that. But you are coming from a more pro background. It is the still the best for amateur photographers. It has all the feature they want and need. DPP doesn’t!

PSE is even the best for advanced folks .
EB
Announcements