cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DPP 4 always triggers OneDrive file download when Files On-Demand enabled.

wezmag
Contributor

App:

• Canon Digital Photo Professional 4.10.20 for Windows
  • OneDrive 19.103.0527.0003 (with Files On-Demand enabled)

Symptom:

Whenever start DPP, it triggers files download in OneDrive.

It downloads every files, not just photos.

I tried to block DppMain.exe on OneDrive, it works only for a few minutes.

After changing folder, it starts download file again.

Due to the limit of disk space, I had to uninstall DPP.

Not sure if this is related to DPP or OneDrive.

I've also reported this issue to Microsoft.

Please work with Microsoft and fix the issue.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Waddizzle,

I think the ultimate solution is to get a Mac and use iCloud instead. Smiley Tongue

For those who still want to use Files On-Demand, I am sorry, It just doesn't work. Not until Canon fixes the issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Tim
Authority

wezmag, 

Based on your description of the issue, this is something within your OneDrive application.  There isn't any protocols built within DPP that should have a controlling effect on that application.  We recommend getting in touch with the manufacturer for further assistance. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for prompt reply.

I believe this is not only Microsoft's issue, but also Canon's.

Would you mind report this issue to your software team?

The issue is very easy to reproduce.

I think everyone who uses OneDrive (with File On-Demand enabled) and DPP will face the same issue.

Thanks

This is not a Canon software issue.  Its the result of how you have your One Drive configured. One Drive backs up what you tell it to.  DPP is a photo editing software.  It doesn't control storage, have any back up controls or functionality...  as Tim pointed out to you.  Further, Storage Sense (if enabled) can also change locally stored files to oniine only after a period of time.  I think you need to review your settings. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick

Okay, thanks.

@wezmag wrote:

Hi Rick

Okay, thanks.

Do you store photos in a folder that backed up by One Drive?  DPP likes to hunt for all media in the current folder and all sub folders.  It does not seem to keep track of where it has found media in the past, so every time it starts up it seems to look for media.

Do you have WMP, Windows Media Player?  If so, what is it’s startup folder?  If you do not use WMP, make its’ default startup folder one that does not contain media.  I point WMP and DPP to startup in an empty folder in my root directory.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

I think the ultimate solution is to get a Mac and use iCloud instead. Smiley Tongue

For those who still want to use Files On-Demand, I am sorry, It just doesn't work. Not until Canon fixes the issue.

wezmag
Contributor

I just found some information that might help.

https://www.petri.com/managing-onedrive-files-demand-windows-10-fall-creators-update

In this article, it says that OneDrive uses file attribute to implement Files On-Demand.

File with attribute "u" indicate that it's an online-only file.

I guess that when starting DPP, it scans every files and generates thumbnails which triggers file download.

If that's the case, DPP should check the file attribute first.

If the file has attribute "u", do not generate thumbnails.

Hope this bit of infomation helps.

Thanks

Announcements