cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted CR3 files produced with R6 + firmware 1.6.0

frankoortwijn
Apprentice

Hi,
I have 2 R6 bodies which have similar issues. After I recently upgraded both camera's to the latest firmware 1.6.0 they produce an enormous amount of CR3 files that look corrupt. They can't be imported in Lightroom, nor DPP. For example, I recently had a photoshoot of about 70 photo's, 7 of them could not be imported.

The strange thing is that I could open it in Lightroom Mobile.
I also tried to convert the CR3 to DNG file but that failed (tried with online tool and with Adobe DNG converter).

This is really unacceptable, therefor I wonder if someone else has faced this issue too. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, It turned out that my SD card reader was corrupting some of the RAW files. I bought a new SD card reader from Apple, superfast and working great!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Stephen38110
Apprentice

Usually when a RAW file is corrupted it affects its data. Only a RAW file repair software can fix unreadable CR3 files even in case of corrupt header, data, invalid image file structure, unknown or invalid marker, etc. You can repair error throwing, greyed-out, broken CR3 files with the help of Stellar Repair for Photo or a Hex Editor.

PaybyPlateMa Pay Online

Hi, Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately it is not an answer on my question but a suggestion how to repair damaged files. Which of course is also valuable!

gpedroso
Apprentice

hi Frank. I'm having a similar problem with an EOS RP. 

I noticed that importing directly from the SD card on the card reader (which is integrated on a usb bundle connected to the M1 Macbook on one of the USB-C ports) this problems occurs. I tried copying first the files from the SD card to a local folder and then importing in Lightroom from the local folder and the corrupt problems disappeared. You can try this method, It might be something with your card reader / cables as well.

Hi, It turned out that my SD card reader was corrupting some of the RAW files. I bought a new SD card reader from Apple, superfast and working great!

SuzanneShazi
Apprentice

I understand your frustration. It's essential to report this firmware-related issue to Canon's customer support or visit their official community forum for assistance. Others may have encountered similar problems and could provide valuable insights or solutions.

Announcements