cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer software for Powershot s5is

lmason2
Apprentice

I have a PowerShot S5IS.  I have moved and have a new computer (windows 11) and have lost my software CD.  This camera is no longer suported by Canon so they cannot supply a new CD.  My camera is pretty usless if I cannot download pictures to my computer.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Len Mason [Email address removed per forum guidelines]

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes the camera is 16 yrs old and retired.  You have options.

PowerShot S5 IS - Canon Camera Museum (global.canon)

You do not need software to download images from you camera.  You can use a cable.  The camera has a USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed) mini-B jack. 

Amazon $5.50

shadowsports_0-1685068901935.png

You can also use a card reader.  These are inexpensive and available at stores like Target or Best Buy.

Target $15.00

shadowsports_1-1685069023096.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, Thank you for your response, AND quickly.  I have unloaded my camera many times using the software, but am not savy enough to do it directly.  I do have a USB cable and have conected the camera and the computer but could not even see the files on the camera.  I could not figure out the process from there.  If you could give me a rough Idea how to procede maybe I could figure it out.  Very much appreciated. Len

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Even an older camera like this should mount as a disk (mass storage device) and be browsable.  Like a standard folder.  You didn't say which OS you were using, but it might be the cable you are using too.  

Here is an example from a windows PC:

Canon Knowledge Base - Saving Images to a Computer using Windows (Windows 10)

Clearly, you have been using this camera for a log time.  I'd like to mention something.  Whatever money you spent on this camera has been returned to you in value and memories.  Canon has camera's today that are really incredible.  The detail of an 8MP photo (your camera) in comparison to what is available today is vastly different.  Not only in image quality but also in hardware performance.  I think you owe it to yourself to take a look.  Visit a local camera store, Best Buy, Costco, Canon USA and see what Canon has today.  I think you will be both impressed and surprised at the technology which is available now.  I bet it would put a smile on your face.  😊       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements