cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon connect app, how to download only JPEG images from Canon G5x Mark II

bobakman
Enthusiast

I have a canon G5X Mark II. When downloading images from the camera using the canon connect app only the raw file downloads. I don’t see any way to select just the JPEG. I don’t want to download the raw file. I just want to download the JPEG image is this even possible using the Camera Connect app? I’m using an iPhone 12 with the latest iOS. 

"Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to import images…

you will see a gear icon in the corner. Select it. Then select raw image save format. You can then select raw or jpeg.

mattve_0-1685105421199.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon Connect does not support transferring RAW file format.  Raw files are converted to .jpg when transferred.  

-Compatible File Types
JPEG、MP4、MOV
・Importing original RAW files is not supported (RAW files are resized to JPEG).
・MOV files and 8K movie files shot with EOS cameras cannot be saved.
・HEIF (10 bit) and RAW movie files shot with compatible cameras cannot be saved.
・AVCHD files shot with Camcorder cannot be saved.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well it is only downloading the Canon RAW file to my iPhone see image and info from downloaded file.
Bob

IMG_8340.png

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What phone are you using and which OS?  

Thanks

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Iphone 12 IOS 16.4.1

Bob

Go to import images…

you will see a gear icon in the corner. Select it. Then select raw image save format. You can then select raw or jpeg.

mattve_0-1685105421199.png

Thank you so much! 

Bob

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Helpful 👍, this is a recent change. Something added to iOS.  Its not supported in Android.  Thanks for pointing this out.     

-Compatible File Types

JPEG, MP4, MOV, CR3, CR2

・RAW (CR3/CR2) images can be imported as RAW format by selecting [RAW image save format] > [RAW format] from the [Images on camera] setting while connected to a compatible model (iOS 12.1 or later for CR3).

・ Importing RAW (.CR2) format is possible with wireless compatible EOS models and some PowerShot models (G1 X Mark III / G9 X Mark II / G7 X Mark II).

・RAW (CR2/CR3) images are resized and imported into JPEG by selecting [RAW image save format] > [JPEG format].

・RAW burst files cannot be imported to smart devices. Extract the CR3 images from the RAW burst file in advance on the camera side, and then import them to the smart device.

・HEIF (10 bit) files shot with compatible cameras and RAW images shot with [HDR PQ settings] enabled cannot be imported. (They can be saved between apps using the linked mode with the Canon image editing app Canon DPP Express.)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

javiergonzales
Apprentice

With the Canon Connect app, I've faced a similar challenge with my G5X Mark II. Unfortunately, the app tends to default to downloading RAW files. What worked for me was adjusting the image settings directly on the camera. I set it to capture both RAW and JPEG, and then the app gave me the option to download just the JPEGs. And hey, your mention of "Cameras don't take pictures, photographers do" totally resonates with me! It's all about capturing the perfect moment. Also, consider jpg compress for efficient storage without compromising quality.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements